Using Python To Launch Python

aha

Hello All,
I have a situation where I can count on a Python installation being
available on a system, but I can't count on it being a version of
Python needed by my application. Since my application has it's own
version of Python installed with it how should I use the system Python
to launch the version of Python that launches my Application. Yes,
this is a convoluted process, but not all Pythons are built the
same :)

Right now I am leaning towards using exec to start a new process, but
I thought I would check to see if anyone else has had the need to
perform a task similar to this one.

AHA

Derek Martin

Since my application has it's own version of Python installed with
it how should I use the system Python to launch the version of
Python that launches my Application. Yes, this is a convoluted
process, but not all Pythons are built the same :)

/usr/local/bin/$APPNAME:

#!/bin/sh

INSTALLPATH=<wherever app is installed>
PATH=$INSTALLPATH/bin:$PATH
exec $INSTALLPATH/bin/python $APPNAME "$@"

Doesn't get much simpler than that. :) You can certainly do the
equivalent in Python... there's not much difference. Slightly less
typing in bourne/bash shell, I guess...

--
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/

Mike Driscoll

Hello All,
  I have a situation where I can count on a Python installation being
available on a system, but I can't count on it being a version of
Python needed by my application.  Since my application has it's own
version of Python installed with it how should I use the system Python
to launch the version of Python that launches my Application.  Yes,
this is a convoluted process, but not all Pythons are built the
same :)

Right now I am leaning towards using exec to start a new process, but
I thought I would check to see if anyone else has had the need to
perform a task similar to this one.

AHA

As an alternative, you may be able to use the subprocess module of
Python to do this too.

Mike

Derek Martin

You've hit the proverbial nail with the hammer. The problem is that my
application needs to run under both the Linux and Windows OSs, so while I
would love to use a nice sh, csh, or bash shell script. My hands are tied
because Windows does not provide such wonderful shells.

*Provides*, no... neither does it provide Python, for what that's
worth. But you can certainly get it (bash):

http://win-bash.sourceforge.net/

I suppose it's not worth installing just for this purpose though...
But you can provide with your application a DoS batch file that does
exactly the same thing (in addition to a shell script). The user
would quite intuitively use whichever were appropriate, or follow your
provided directions otherwise. Or, the equivalent in (hopefully
OS-agnostic) Python:

import os, sys

# I believe this gets the name of the root in all major OSes
def root_dir(path):
if os.path.dirname(path) == path:
return path
return (root_dir(os.path.dirname(path)))

appname = <name of your python script>
root = root_dir(os.getcwd())
install_path = os.path.join(root, "usr")
bin_path = os.path.join(install_path, "bin")
os.environ["PATH"] = bin_path + os.pathsep + os.environ["PATH"]
python_path = os.path.join(bin_path, "python")
args = sys.argv[1:]
args.insert(0, os.path.join(bin_path, appname))
args.insert(0, python_path)
args.insert(0, python_path)
os.execv(python_path, args)

Gabriel Genellina

*Provides*, no... neither does it provide Python, for what that's
worth. But you can certainly get it (bash):

http://win-bash.sourceforge.net/

Using the standard cmd.exe, the previously posted shell script becomes:

=== begin appname.cmd ===
set INSTALLPATH=<wherever app is installed>
call %INSTALLPATH%\bin\python %INSTALLPATH%\APPNAME.py %*
=== end appname.cmd ===