Using Ruby in a commercial application?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Chanon Sajjamanochai, Aug 13, 2006.

  1. Hi all,

    I just began learning Ruby a few hours ago, but it has been enough to
    convince me that it is the language I want to write in.

    I first decided to learn it because I wanted to learn Rails to create a
    web application. But now that I like it so much .. I want to use it in
    my current business (which is writing shareware games).

    So I'm wondering, what do I have to do to be able to use Ruby in a
    commercial application such as a shareware game?

    From the License it says something about some files in the distribution
    weren't written by the author.

    I've tried to search for information on this subject, but couldn't find
    anything.

    Could someone who has used Ruby in a commercial app before give me some
    advice?

    Thank you!

    Chanon Sajjamanochai, Aug 13, 2006

  2. Chanon Sajjamanochai wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I just began learning Ruby a few hours ago, but it has been enough to
    > convince me that it is the language I want to write in.
    >
    > I first decided to learn it because I wanted to learn Rails to create a
    > web application. But now that I like it so much .. I want to use it in
    > my current business (which is writing shareware games).
    >
    > So I'm wondering, what do I have to do to be able to use Ruby in a
    > commercial application such as a shareware game?
    >
    >>From the License it says something about some files in the distribution

    > weren't written by the author.
    >
    > I've tried to search for information on this subject, but couldn't find
    > anything.
    >
    > Could someone who has used Ruby in a commercial app before give me some
    > advice?
    >
    > Thank you!

    My "advice" is to seek *legal* advice from *attorneys*, *accounting*
    advice from *accountants* and *programming* advice from *programmers*.

    :)
    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Aug 13, 2006

  3. Chanon Sajjamanochai

    Ken Bloom Guest

    On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 04:33:38 +0900, Chanon Sajjamanochai wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I just began learning Ruby a few hours ago, but it has been enough to
    > convince me that it is the language I want to write in.
    >
    > I first decided to learn it because I wanted to learn Rails to create a
    > web application. But now that I like it so much .. I want to use it in
    > my current business (which is writing shareware games).
    >
    > So I'm wondering, what do I have to do to be able to use Ruby in a
    > commercial application such as a shareware game?

    From a purely technical standpoint, you're not going to be able to protect
    your investment because Ruby is an interpreted language, and can't even be
    compiled to bytecode yet.

    I am not a lawyer, nor an author of Ruby, so I can't advise on anything
    else.

    --Ken

    http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/
    Ken Bloom, Aug 13, 2006
  4. On Aug 13, 2006, at 2:22 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

    > Chanon Sajjamanochai wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >> I just began learning Ruby a few hours ago, but it has been enough
    >> to convince me that it is the language I want to write in.
    >> I first decided to learn it because I wanted to learn Rails to
    >> create a web application. But now that I like it so much .. I want
    >> to use it in my current business (which is writing shareware games).
    >> So I'm wondering, what do I have to do to be able to use Ruby in a
    >> commercial application such as a shareware game?
    >>> From the License it says something about some files in the
    >>> distribution

    >> weren't written by the author.
    >> I've tried to search for information on this subject, but couldn't
    >> find anything.
    >> Could someone who has used Ruby in a commercial app before give me
    >> some advice?
    >> Thank you!

    > My "advice" is to seek *legal* advice from *attorneys*,
    > *accounting* advice from *accountants* and *programming* advice
    > from *programmers*.
    >
    > :)

    I got a grin out of Ed's advice, but, in fact, lawyers who know
    anything about the legal aspects of the software business are very
    scarce. Most lawyers will not give you an formal opinion in this area
    that is backed by their legal malpractice insurance and without such
    backing their opinion is worth precisely as much as mine and Ed's.

    Having said that, of course you can use the Ruby core in commercial
    applications just like you can use gcc. Many people have. When it
    comes to some library, you are going to have to read the license on
    the library/

    --
    Vegetarians eat Vegetables, Humanitarians frighten me
    Chris Gehlker, Aug 13, 2006
  5. With respect to licensing, I think most of the popular libraries ship with
    licenses that are the same as Ruby's or very similar (i.e. they are very
    friendly wrt commercial projects).

    However many of Ruby's fancy graphical libraries that you may need
    for game development require platform specific binaries. These binaries
    may have different licenses than the libraries that wrap them.

    Keep in mind that Ruby is a big download for shareware titles. This
    is probably a non-issue nowadays, but keep it in mind.

    If you are interested in protecting your code, and stopping people from
    disabling the nag-ware (or whatever you use to solicit money from the
    people who DL your games), there is very little you can do, besides perhaps
    compiling your ruby code directly to an executable (some tools exist,
    added bonus is that you might get a performance boost and smaller
    download). You can also ship 'less game' in your shareware version -
    so that a simple edit won't open up the full thing.

    There is a book out there that covers game development in Ruby (and
    python & lua) probably more technical oriented.
    Richard Conroy, Aug 14, 2006
  6. On 8/13/06, Chanon Sajjamanochai <> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > So I'm wondering, what do I have to do to be able to use Ruby in a
    > commercial application such as a shareware game?

    You'll need to look at the licenses for each library/module you use,
    and be sure to comply with their respective licensing terms.

    If you package your game to include Ruby itself, then for that you'll
    need to follow its licensing terms
    (http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/LICENSE.txt) for its files.

    > From the License it says something about some files in the distribution
    > weren't written by the author.

    Right. Different libs that you use (say, RubyGame, SDL, etc.) may have
    licensing terms different to that of Ruby itself, so if you distribute
    those libs with your game, you'll need to abide by their terms
    (respectively -- possibly different terms for each library).

    > I've tried to search for information on this subject, but couldn't find
    > anything.

    The licensing info for a given bit of software is usually in the top
    level of the source directory in a file called "COPYING", or maybe
    license.txt or something similar.

    > Could someone who has used Ruby in a commercial app before give me some
    > advice?

    No experience with that.

    ---John
    John Gabriele, Aug 14, 2006