using soap/java/perl or some such to search the web ?

Larry

This is what I'd like to do for a project if possible,
I've read a little bit that various search engines and other tools
through
soap or something give you hooks into web search capabilities.

I want to search womens profiles on yahoo personals, possibly I will
mark some of those profiles based on the pictures. This part would be
partially manual through an interface I might design. After that I
would want to run those
marked personal profiles through some other code. I'm thinking this
code might have to decode the actual html a bit. What it would do is
look for certain keywords and then generate a customized reply to that
personal ad based on common interests and so on, or mark certain ads
as highly relevant based on keywords. For instance if a girl had
camping listed in her profile, my response letter might include
something about how I like camping, I have a truck camper and so on.
But if it did not find any keywords, it would not make as much of a
mention camping in the generated response letter. Once I have
generated response letters, I would have some sort of manual process
where I have to go and type in the coded thingamajigs they generate.

I'm not sure how hard all this would be or how high level/low level I
want to go with it or where to start, though I am an experienced C++
programmer, have done java/perl and so on. I think yahoo uses java
script. I have seen books on java script, using perl for this sort of
thing as well.

Any thoughs appreciated.