using window.open javascript in asp.net

Stephen Witter

I am currently using response.redirect in a aspx to go to a web page.
What I want is to open the page in a new window. My dotnet code is as
follows:

Dim sFileName as string = "/TempReports/tempReport.pdf"
response.redirect(sFileName)

This opens in the same frame and I want to use something like
window.open so I can force a new page and control the size of the
window, etc.... One thing I thought about is calling a javascript
function from within a linkbutton. I don't want to use the
attributes.add because the link button already has code.

I have tried:

Dim scriptString As String = "<script language='javascript'>
{window.open(" & sFileName & ");} </script>"

Response.Write(scriptString)

but the "<script language=javascript></script>" doesn't come across as
a string in my code, it actually comes across as an actual script tag
even though it is in quotes.

I have tried:

Response.Write("<META HTTP-EQUIV=""REFRESH"" Content=""0;URL=" &
sFileName & """ target=""_blank"">")

to at least get it to open in a new window but I can't get it to work.
Even though I have the target=""_blank"" it still opens in the same
frame.

Any suggestions?

George

I think you have to lose the braces { }, and register the script.

Dim scriptString As String = "<script language='JavaScript'>
window.open('/TempReports/tempReport.pdf');</script>"

RegisterStartupScript("whatever", scriptString)

I assume it will work if you drop your sFileName var in there, as well. Worth a try, anyway.

George

Stephen Witter

Thanks for your reply. The questions I posted was a process that was
a second choice for me because I couldn't do something I wanted to do
in a web form. As it turns out the reason I couldn't do it the way I
wanted to had to do with misspelling an event name. The event in
dotnet was OnSelectedIndexChanged. I was spelling it
OnSelectedIndexChange.

Funny, it took me almost three weeks to catch that I didn't have a "d"
on the end of my event.

shesh...

George

Been there. Done that. ;-)