using XML as a data source

Pavel Lepin

endodoug said:
i'm new to XML and trying to take XML data from a URL and
place it on a webpage. can someone give me some
direction?

Whip out your language of choice. Retrieve the document over
http. Stuff it into an XML parser (DOM/SAX/whatever).
Retrieve the data you need (using XPath, XSLT, XQuery, DOM
API or something else along these lines). Format as desired
(possibly using XSLT). Serve to the end user.
I want to pick and choose the data to display.

Go ahead, no objections from me.

JRoe

i'm new to XML and trying to take XML data from a URL and place it on
a webpage. can someone give me some direction?

I am given the XML at this locationhttp://sportsfeeds.bodoglife.com/basic/CRTT.xml

I want to pick and choose the data to display.

thanks

If you are using XSL, consider using the "document" function. You
would have something like this in your XML file:

<content href="url.xml"/>

Then in your XSL you could have something like this:

<xsl:value-of select="document(@href)//tag_that_holds_data"/>

The reference can be a URL or file path.

Good luck,
Jonathan