UTF-8 with signature & UTF-8 without signature

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by JJBW, Apr 23, 2004.

  1. JJBW

    JJBW Guest

    Hi

    I am creating some aspx files in Visual Studio 2003 for a Danish web
    site.

    The page is encoded as UTF-8 - However, when I save the the aspx file
    as "UTF-8 without signature" the Danish characters Å Æ Ø are not
    displayed correctly, when I choose to save the file as "UTF-8 with
    signature" the characters are displayed correctly.

    Can anyone explain the difference between UTF-8 with signature & UTF-8
    without signature ?

    Does saving the file as "UTF-8 with/without signature" render Codepage
    attribute in the aspx file useless ?

    Thanks in advanced.

    JJBW
    JJBW, Apr 23, 2004

  2. JJBW

    Joerg Jooss Guest

    JJBW wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I am creating some aspx files in Visual Studio 2003 for a Danish web
    > site.
    >
    > The page is encoded as UTF-8 - However, when I save the the aspx file
    > as "UTF-8 without signature" the Danish characters Å Æ Ø are not
    > displayed correctly, when I choose to save the file as "UTF-8 with
    > signature" the characters are displayed correctly.

    Yes, same here.

    > Can anyone explain the difference between UTF-8 with signature & UTF-8
    > without signature ?

    I guess the term "signature" refers to the UTF-8 byte order mark (aka
    "BOM"), an optional three byte sequence (0xEF 0xBB 0xBF) at the beginning of
    an UTF-8 byte stream identifying it as, um, UTF-8.

    > Does saving the file as "UTF-8 with/without signature" render Codepage
    > attribute in the aspx file useless ?

    Well, the declared Codepage and and true physical encoding must of course
    match. Since this is true when you specify Codepage="65001" and save the
    file as UTF-8 without BOM, I guess it's a bug in the ASP.NET page
    translator.

    Cheers,

    --
    Joerg Jooss