UTF-8 with signature & UTF-8 without signature

JJBW

Hi

I am creating some aspx files in Visual Studio 2003 for a Danish web
site.

The page is encoded as UTF-8 - However, when I save the the aspx file
as "UTF-8 without signature" the Danish characters Å Æ Ø are not
displayed correctly, when I choose to save the file as "UTF-8 with
signature" the characters are displayed correctly.

Can anyone explain the difference between UTF-8 with signature & UTF-8
without signature ?

Does saving the file as "UTF-8 with/without signature" render Codepage
attribute in the aspx file useless ?

Thanks in advanced.

JJBW

Joerg Jooss

JJBW said:
Hi

I am creating some aspx files in Visual Studio 2003 for a Danish web
site.

The page is encoded as UTF-8 - However, when I save the the aspx file
as "UTF-8 without signature" the Danish characters Å Æ Ø are not
displayed correctly, when I choose to save the file as "UTF-8 with
signature" the characters are displayed correctly.

Yes, same here.
Can anyone explain the difference between UTF-8 with signature & UTF-8
without signature ?

I guess the term "signature" refers to the UTF-8 byte order mark (aka
"BOM"), an optional three byte sequence (0xEF 0xBB 0xBF) at the beginning of
an UTF-8 byte stream identifying it as, um, UTF-8.
Does saving the file as "UTF-8 with/without signature" render Codepage
attribute in the aspx file useless ?

Well, the declared Codepage and and true physical encoding must of course
match. Since this is true when you specify Codepage="65001" and save the
file as UTF-8 without BOM, I guess it's a bug in the ASP.NET page
translator.

Cheers,