v General question about Perl/CGI/.jsp etc...

Guest

knowing only how to do C# web apps and nothing about the other standards out
there....
anyone care to enlighten me about how CGI works? are (Perl and CGI the same
thing) is it just a language that the user manipulates to churn out strings
of HTML (a la classic ASP) or does it have a framework and object model?

similarly how do .jsp pages work?, is that part of a framework or again does
it just directly require the user to churn out HTML response strings for the
browser?

finally
Ruby on Rails...everything I've seen about this language is baffling, how on
earth does this language work with regards to generating web pages?

Any info or links to informative URLs highly appreciated.

Regards
CharlesA

Hans Kesting

knowing only how to do C# web apps and nothing about the other standards out
there....
anyone care to enlighten me about how CGI works? are (Perl and CGI the same
thing) is it just a language that the user manipulates to churn out strings
of HTML (a la classic ASP) or does it have a framework and object model?

similarly how do .jsp pages work?, is that part of a framework or again does
it just directly require the user to churn out HTML response strings for the
browser?

finally
Ruby on Rails...everything I've seen about this language is baffling, how on
earth does this language work with regards to generating web pages?

Any info or links to informative URLs highly appreciated.

Regards
CharlesA

CGI is just e generic term (sorry, forgot what it stands for) for
anything that "accepts an http request" and then "generates an http
response", using code that runs besides the webserver (as opposed to
static content that is server as-is by that webserver).

Perl is just one of the languages that you could use in that case (but
I've also used Korn-shell scripts).

JSP (at least the way *I* used it a while back) is similar in
functionality to ASP (generating html directly with implicit or
explicit response.write's), apart from running as compiled java code
(with of course access to the java libraries) instead of interpreted
script.

I don't know about Ruby.

Hans Kesting

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

Ruby is an object oriented scripting language. much like javascript and
python its supports anonymous (lambda) functions, closure, and dynamically
adding methods and properties to an object, and doesn't require declaration
of variables. It also allows loading extenstion libaries.

Ruby on Rails is a Ruby extension framework for building web pages. it uses
the MVC pattern, and has a builtin AJAX library and database handling
routines. It makes extensive use of Ruby's runtime dynamic nature.

Currently C# is too typed to complete with Ruby, but the next release is
more competitive, by adding lambda functions, closure (though with some
limitations), and dynamic properties.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)