    thanks
    jeffs

    , Feb 26, 2005

  2. wrote:

    > I am going nuts trying to find a DTD validation service online...

    The following services can be used for validating XML documents as well,
    although they were set up primarily for validating HTML:
    http://validator.w3.org/
    http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/

    > is there any site which offers validation of DTDs online
    > and which does the validation in an authoritative manner?

    What do you mean by an authoritative manner? I don't see why you would need
    authorities for this, any more than for checking that 2 + 2 = 4.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Feb 26, 2005

  3. Richard Tobin, Feb 26, 2005
  4. On 26 Feb 2005 07:01:11 -0800, wrote:

    >I am going nuts trying to find a DTD validation service online...
    >is there any site which offers validation of DTDs online
    >and which does the validation in an authoritative manner?

    In addition to the links provided by Jukka, you may find this one to be
    of interest...

    <http://valet.webthing.com/>

    Please note that there is nothing special about a DTD versus a document
    instance when it comes to the validation process.

    Just send your DTD to the validator, if need be tack a NUL doc instance
    to the end of it. The validator will tell you if you have an error in
    the external declaration subset (DTD) just as well as it will tell you
    about errors in your doc instance.

    --
    Rex

    Jan Roland Eriksson, Feb 26, 2005
  5. Nick Kew Guest

    Jan Roland Eriksson wrote:

    > In addition to the links provided by Jukka, you may find this one to be
    > of interest...
    >
    > <http://valet.webthing.com/>

    [chop]

    Note that when using Valet, you would need to use one of the Code Valet
    tools to validate a DTD. The "standard" Page Valet validator will
    suppress errors arising in a DTD, to avoid confusing the majority users.

    Given that the W3C HTML 4.0 DTD (note, that's not the current 4.01)
    gives rise to several messages when validating, this seems like a
    necessary compromise.

    --
    Nick Kew

    Nick Kew, Feb 27, 2005