    seperately?

    http://validator.w3.org/

    Ta.

    Mike Barnard, Mar 19, 2008

  2. Mike Barnard wrote:
    > When I point the validator to a URL, does it scan the site for ALL
    > pages

    No

    > or does it just scan the individual page you have selected?

    Yes

    > If I
    > had 500 pages in a site would one have to validate each one
    > seperately?

    Yes

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 19, 2008

  3. Scripsit Mike Barnard:

    > When I point the validator to a URL, does it scan the site for ALL
    > pages or does it just scan the individual page you have selected?

    By default, the individual page only.

    > If I had 500 pages in a site would one have to validate each one
    > seperately?
    >
    > http://validator.w3.org/

    As far as I can see, the W3C validator has no option for validating an
    entire site.

    The WDG validator has a "batch validation" option, see
    http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/batch.html
    but it requires you to enter a list of URLs.

    Of course it would be possible to create software that performs site
    validation. If you encounter a purported site validator, make sure it's
    a real validator and not something falsely advertized as a validator.

    P.S. The W3C validator has a public discussion list of its own. Check
    the site for archives and subscription information.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Mar 19, 2008
  4. In article <>,
    Mike Barnard <> wrote:

    > When I point the validator to a URL, does it scan the site for ALL
    > pages or does it just scan the individual page you have selected? If I
    > had 500 pages in a site would one have to validate each one
    > seperately?
    >
    > http://validator.w3.org/

    Hi Mike,
    Others have answered your question quite well. I will add that there are
    a couple of options for validating multiple pages at one go. The WDG
    validator (http://htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/) has a "validate entire
    site" option, but last time I tried it (which was a while ago), it
    limited itself to 100 pages.

    My validator (http://NikitaTheSpider.com/) doesn't have that limit and
    provides some additional features that you might find valuable. It's
    free to use now, but won't be forever.

    Good luck with whatever you choose

    --
    Philip
    http://NikitaTheSpider.com/

    Nikita the Spider, Mar 19, 2008
  5. Mike Barnard

    Guest

    On Mar 19, 3:04 pm, "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:

    > As far as I can see, the W3C validator has no option for validating an
    > entire site.

    There is no option for batch validating for the W3C validator,
    but for developers they give information about installing the source
    code
    on your server,
    also they have a Web Service SOAP API for a polite small number of
    requests
    http://validator.w3.org/docs/#docs_experts

    , Mar 19, 2008
  6. Mike Barnard

    Mike Barnard Guest

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 10:54:04 -0400, "Jonathan N. Little"
    <> wrote:

    >Mike Barnard wrote:
    >> When I point the validator to a URL, does it scan the site for ALL
    >> pages

    >No

    >> or does it just scan the individual page you have selected?

    >Yes

    >> If I
    >> had 500 pages in a site would one have to validate each one
    >> seperately?

    >Yes

    Succinct, but accurate! Thanks.

    Mike Barnard, Mar 19, 2008
  7. Mike Barnard

    Mike Barnard Guest

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 17:04:16 +0200, "Jukka K. Korpela"
    <> wrote:

    >Scripsit Mike Barnard:
    >
    >> When I point the validator to a URL, does it scan the site for ALL
    >> pages or does it just scan the individual page you have selected?

    >By default, the individual page only.

    OK.

    >> If I had 500 pages in a site would one have to validate each one
    >> seperately?
    >>
    >> http://validator.w3.org/

    >As far as I can see, the W3C validator has no option for validating an
    >entire site.
    >
    >The WDG validator has a "batch validation" option, see
    >http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/batch.html
    >but it requires you to enter a list of URLs.
    >
    >Of course it would be possible to create software that performs site
    >validation. If you encounter a purported site validator, make sure it's
    >a real validator and not something falsely advertized as a validator.
    >
    >P.S. The W3C validator has a public discussion list of its own. Check
    >the site for archives and subscription information.

    Thanks for the info.

    Mike Barnard, Mar 19, 2008
  8. Mike Barnard

    Mike Barnard Guest

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 13:21:29 -0400, Nikita the Spider
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Mike Barnard <> wrote:
    >
    >> When I point the validator to a URL, does it scan the site for ALL
    >> pages or does it just scan the individual page you have selected? If I
    >> had 500 pages in a site would one have to validate each one
    >> seperately?
    >>
    >> http://validator.w3.org/

    >Hi Mike,
    >Others have answered your question quite well. I will add that there are
    >a couple of options for validating multiple pages at one go. The WDG
    >validator (http://htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/) has a "validate entire
    >site" option, but last time I tried it (which was a while ago), it
    >limited itself to 100 pages.

    Well, I only actually have about 7 pages, but expect it to go to maybe
    20 at most. I'll look.

    >My validator (http://NikitaTheSpider.com/) doesn't have that limit and
    >provides some additional features that you might find valuable. It's
    >free to use now, but won't be forever.

    "This space left intentionally blank." WHY do that? :) What going in
    there?

    >Good luck with whatever you choose

    Thanks.

    Mike Barnard, Mar 19, 2008
  9. In article <>,
    Mike Barnard <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 13:21:29 -0400, Nikita the Spider
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > Mike Barnard <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> When I point the validator to a URL, does it scan the site for ALL
    > >> pages or does it just scan the individual page you have selected? If I
    > >> had 500 pages in a site would one have to validate each one
    > >> seperately?
    > >>
    > >> http://validator.w3.org/

    > >Hi Mike,
    > >Others have answered your question quite well. I will add that there are
    > >a couple of options for validating multiple pages at one go. The WDG
    > >validator (http://htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/) has a "validate entire
    > >site" option, but last time I tried it (which was a while ago), it
    > >limited itself to 100 pages.

    > Well, I only actually have about 7 pages, but expect it to go to maybe
    > 20 at most. I'll look.
    >
    > >My validator (http://NikitaTheSpider.com/) doesn't have that limit and
    > >provides some additional features that you might find valuable. It's
    > >free to use now, but won't be forever.

    > "This space left intentionally blank." WHY do that? :) What going in
    > there?

    Heh. =) That space is there so that the page is tall enough for the
    in-page links to scroll to the top of the viewport. For example:
    http://NikitaTheSpider.com/start.spy#UserAgentExplanation

    If that blank space wasn't there, the top line in the viewport wouldn't
    be an explanation of the user agent extension.

    --
    Philip
    http://NikitaTheSpider.com/

    Nikita the Spider, Mar 19, 2008
  10. Mike Barnard

    C A Upsdell Guest

    Mike Barnard wrote:
    >>> When I point the validator to a URL, does it scan the site for ALL
    >>> pages or does it just scan the individual page you have selected? If I
    >>> had 500 pages in a site would one have to validate each one
    >>> seperately?
    >>>

    >> Others have answered your question quite well. I will add that there are
    >> a couple of options for validating multiple pages at one go. The WDG
    >> validator (http://htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/) has a "validate entire
    >> site" option, but last time I tried it (which was a while ago), it
    >> limited itself to 100 pages.

    > Well, I only actually have about 7 pages, but expect it to go to maybe
    > 20 at most. I'll look.

    There is also aRealValidator.com, which sells an excellent, inexpensive
    off-line validator which can check a whole site ... before you upload
    it. I've used it for years.

    C A Upsdell, Mar 19, 2008
  11. Mike Barnard

    dorayme Guest

    In article <frru9j$qg2$>,
    C A Upsdell <> wrote:

    > >> Others have answered your question quite well. I will add that there are
    > >> a couple of options for validating multiple pages at one go. The WDG
    > >> validator (http://htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/) has a "validate entire
    > >> site" option, but last time I tried it (which was a while ago), it
    > >> limited itself to 100 pages.

    > > Well, I only actually have about 7 pages, but expect it to go to maybe
    > > 20 at most. I'll look.

    > There is also aRealValidator.com, which sells an excellent, inexpensive
    > off-line validator which can check a whole site ... before you upload
    > it. I've used it for years.

    Since the OP uses Atomz, he may not have noticed that when he
    indexes his site through their facilities, there are options to
    pick up various mistakes. he might as well use these too. I have
    picked up things site wise with this.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 19, 2008