Validation question.

Mike Barnard

When I point the validator to a URL, does it scan the site for ALL
pages or does it just scan the individual page you have selected? If I
had 500 pages in a site would one have to validate each one
seperately?

http://validator.w3.org/

Ta.

Jonathan N. Little

Mike said:
When I point the validator to a URL, does it scan the site for ALL
pages
No

or does it just scan the individual page you have selected?

Yes

If I
had 500 pages in a site would one have to validate each one
seperately?

Yes

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Mike Barnard:
When I point the validator to a URL, does it scan the site for ALL
pages or does it just scan the individual page you have selected?

By default, the individual page only.
If I had 500 pages in a site would one have to validate each one
seperately?

http://validator.w3.org/

As far as I can see, the W3C validator has no option for validating an
entire site.

The WDG validator has a "batch validation" option, see
http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/batch.html
but it requires you to enter a list of URLs.

Of course it would be possible to create software that performs site
validation. If you encounter a purported site validator, make sure it's
a real validator and not something falsely advertized as a validator.

P.S. The W3C validator has a public discussion list of its own. Check
the site for archives and subscription information.

Nikita the Spider

Mike Barnard said:
When I point the validator to a URL, does it scan the site for ALL
pages or does it just scan the individual page you have selected? If I
had 500 pages in a site would one have to validate each one
seperately?

http://validator.w3.org/

Hi Mike,
Others have answered your question quite well. I will add that there are
a couple of options for validating multiple pages at one go. The WDG
validator (http://htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/) has a "validate entire
site" option, but last time I tried it (which was a while ago), it
limited itself to 100 pages.

My validator (http://NikitaTheSpider.com/) doesn't have that limit and
provides some additional features that you might find valuable. It's
free to use now, but won't be forever.

Good luck with whatever you choose

mynameisnobodyodyssea

As far as I can see, the W3C validator has no option for validating an
entire site.

There is no option for batch validating for the W3C validator,
but for developers they give information about installing the source
code
on your server,
also they have a Web Service SOAP API for a polite small number of
requests
http://validator.w3.org/docs/#docs_experts

Mike Barnard

Scripsit Mike Barnard:

By default, the individual page only.
OK.

As far as I can see, the W3C validator has no option for validating an
entire site.

The WDG validator has a "batch validation" option, see
http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/batch.html
but it requires you to enter a list of URLs.

Of course it would be possible to create software that performs site
validation. If you encounter a purported site validator, make sure it's
a real validator and not something falsely advertized as a validator.

P.S. The W3C validator has a public discussion list of its own. Check
the site for archives and subscription information.

Thanks for the info.

Mike Barnard

Hi Mike,
Others have answered your question quite well. I will add that there are
a couple of options for validating multiple pages at one go. The WDG
validator (http://htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/) has a "validate entire
site" option, but last time I tried it (which was a while ago), it
limited itself to 100 pages.

Well, I only actually have about 7 pages, but expect it to go to maybe
20 at most. I'll look.
My validator (http://NikitaTheSpider.com/) doesn't have that limit and
provides some additional features that you might find valuable. It's
free to use now, but won't be forever.

"This space left intentionally blank." WHY do that? :) What going in
there?
Good luck with whatever you choose

Thanks.

Nikita the Spider

Mike Barnard said:
Well, I only actually have about 7 pages, but expect it to go to maybe
20 at most. I'll look.

"This space left intentionally blank." WHY do that? :) What going in
there?

Heh. =) That space is there so that the page is tall enough for the
in-page links to scroll to the top of the viewport. For example:
http://NikitaTheSpider.com/start.spy#UserAgentExplanation

If that blank space wasn't there, the top line in the viewport wouldn't
be an explanation of the user agent extension.

C A Upsdell

Mike said:
Well, I only actually have about 7 pages, but expect it to go to maybe
20 at most. I'll look.

There is also aRealValidator.com, which sells an excellent, inexpensive
off-line validator which can check a whole site ... before you upload
it. I've used it for years.

dorayme

C A Upsdell said:
There is also aRealValidator.com, which sells an excellent, inexpensive
off-line validator which can check a whole site ... before you upload
it. I've used it for years.

Since the OP uses Atomz, he may not have noticed that when he
indexes his site through their facilities, there are options to
pick up various mistakes. he might as well use these too. I have
picked up things site wise with this.