validation question

Ely

When validating a control client side, is there a way to get the error
message to display in the validation summary as soon as the control losses
focus? Right now it only displays when the user clicks on the submit
button.

Thanks,
Ely

Peter Blum

I'm not sure why you explicitly want the ValidationSummary to appear upon
getting the first error. You can fake it in several ways.
1. Put the validators in the location of the ValidationSummary control. Omit
the ValidationSummary itself. This is still tricky due to formatting
multiple messages.
2. I wrote a replacement to Microsoft's validators to overcome its many
limitations. "Professional Validation And More"
(http://www.peterblum.com/vam/home.aspx) has several features that may help:
- If you are putting error messages elsewhere because of screen realestate,
my validators offer several "ErrorFormatters" that take up very little
screen space: an image that pops up the error message via alert or tooltip;
a hyperlink that shows an alert with the error message.
- My ValidationSummary auto shows and hides error messages as the user
edits. However, it doesn't show unless the user submits or you write one
call to my javascript that is invoked as the page is loaded.
- My CombinedErrorMessages control is a kind of mix between a
ValidationSummary and normal validators. It lets you group a list of
validators. They appear at the location of this control, like a
ValidationSummary, but at the time the edit is made.

--- Peter Blum
www.PeterBlum.com
Email: (e-mail address removed)
http://www.peterblum.com/vam/home.aspx