Vanity URL Question?

Leon

How to personalized different parts of my website using vanity sub-domain
name url.

example: my domain name is www.mydomain.com.
I would like the vanity url to be myname.mydomain.com, and personalize the
current page from the database using that vanity url
('myname.mydomain.com').

Alan Silver

How to personalized different parts of my website using vanity sub-domain
name url.

example: my domain name is www.mydomain.com.
I would like the vanity url to be myname.mydomain.com, and personalize the
current page from the database using that vanity url
('myname.mydomain.com').

You do realise that this is more complex than the standard vanity URL
concept that ASP.NET can do? You are now dealing with different domain
names, so your server would have to be set up so that every domain
ending in mydomain.com went to your site. If you intend making up names
as you go along (as opposed to having to reconfigure IIS every time),
then you will have to make this site the default site for the whole
machine.

Once you have the domain stuff figured, then I guess the rest will be
the same as any case of URL rewriting. You will be checking the domain
rather than just the URL, but the principle is the same.

HTH

Alan Silver

Ok that seems harder than I thought, but what if I use the standard vanity
url way
like the following?
the user types in the url myname.domain.com

As soon as you start doing anything with the bit before mydomain.com,
you run into DNS issues as described below. These are not
insurmountable, depending on your server set up, but have to be
considered.

If you want to have vanity URLs and don't want to have to consider the
DNS, then stick with www.mydomain.com and add the vanity bit afterwards,
eg www.mydomain.com/people/alan.silver

HTH
the web application rewrite the url to