VB6 and Perl on 2000/XP: Req recommendation for interprocess communication

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Tom Bates, Jun 4, 2005.

  1. Tom Bates

    Tom Bates Guest

    I'm working on a VB6 program that will kick off a command process
    (using COMSPEC) that will run a perl script, which in turn may execute
    nested perl scripts. (I think it sounds worse than it is.) I have
    tested a prototype which appears to work, using CreateProcess (this
    way, I can stop the process if I need to).

    I would like the VB program to be able to continually monitor and
    receive status from the running perl script(s) so I can update a
    status bar, and perhaps display progress information in a textbox. To
    me, watching the text whiz by in a console window looks kinda 80's...
    :)

    Can someone suggest an optimal approach for this?

    Thanks
    Tom

    NOTE - cross-posted to VB and Perl discussion groups

    Tom Bates, Jun 4, 2005