Velocity and Confluence wiki

Andrew

I wish to embed a Confluence Wiki within an existing PHP site.

Our current strategy is one of developing a custom theme for
confluence, wrapping the wiki in navigation so it "appears" to form
part of the main php site.
Is this a good strategy?

Once the Theme is developed we would have to extract data from another
existing database to populate a navigation bar and other elements with
data from this other database.
Would we use Velocity Action classes?
i.e. in viewspacesummary.vm, the title is populated with a call to
$action.getText('advanced.name').
So would we need to replace the action class with our own one, and then
obtain the space name from the external db? and if so how?

We have a good knowledge of Java / Servlets / Tomcat & databases but
are fairly new to Velocity, and Confluence.

Thanks