Version control tool that understands XML ?

Discussion in 'XML' started by Andy Dingley, Mar 3, 2004.

  1. Andy Dingley

    Andy Dingley Guest

    New (to me) project represents two years work for half-a-dozen people
    and still has no source code control. (Yes, I know, I know....)

    So I'm looking for something, which needs the following features:

    - Works well with XML. There's a couple of MB of XSLT involved here

    - Works with text files too, not just XML. There's a little code in
    SQL and ASP that needs to be looked after.

    - Plays well with both Windows and Linux. Ideally it's hosted on a
    Windows file server, but we also need to roll out final deployments
    onto our live Apache servers under RedHat.

    Any suggestions ? I'm woefully out of touch in what's out there that
    can handle XML.

    Thanks for any advice

    --
    Smert' spamionam

    Andy Dingley, Mar 3, 2004

  2. Andy Dingley wrote:
    > New (to me) project represents two years work for half-a-dozen people
    > and still has no source code control. (Yes, I know, I know....)
    >
    > So I'm looking for something, which needs the following features:
    >
    > - Works well with XML. There's a couple of MB of XSLT involved here
    >
    > - Works with text files too, not just XML. There's a little code in
    > SQL and ASP that needs to be looked after.
    >
    > - Plays well with both Windows and Linux. Ideally it's hosted on a
    > Windows file server, but we also need to roll out final deployments
    > onto our live Apache servers under RedHat.
    >
    > Any suggestions ? I'm woefully out of touch in what's out there that
    > can handle XML.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice

    Consider CVS (License: GPL) as option zero. It handless well text files.

    You can put CVS tags in special xml nodes. CVS will update them during
    check-ins/check-outs.

    <mydocument>
    <cvs-info>
    <revision>$Revision$</revision>
    <lastupdate>$Date: 2004/02/24 16:52:45 $</lastupdate>
    <log>$Log$</log>
    </cvs-info>
    </mydocument>

    P.S.
    It is a good idea to compare any product to its free alternative - it helps
    when you know what your are paying for :)

    --
    Andrzej [en:Andrew] Adam Filip
    http://anfi.webhop.net http://slashdot.org/~anfi

    Andrzej Adam Filip, Mar 3, 2004