Version control tool that understands XML ?

Andy Dingley

New (to me) project represents two years work for half-a-dozen people
and still has no source code control. (Yes, I know, I know....)

So I'm looking for something, which needs the following features:

- Works well with XML. There's a couple of MB of XSLT involved here

- Works with text files too, not just XML. There's a little code in
SQL and ASP that needs to be looked after.

- Plays well with both Windows and Linux. Ideally it's hosted on a
Windows file server, but we also need to roll out final deployments
onto our live Apache servers under RedHat.

Any suggestions ? I'm woefully out of touch in what's out there that
can handle XML.

Thanks for any advice

Andrzej Adam Filip

Andy said:
New (to me) project represents two years work for half-a-dozen people
and still has no source code control. (Yes, I know, I know....)

So I'm looking for something, which needs the following features:

- Works well with XML. There's a couple of MB of XSLT involved here

- Works with text files too, not just XML. There's a little code in
SQL and ASP that needs to be looked after.

- Plays well with both Windows and Linux. Ideally it's hosted on a
Windows file server, but we also need to roll out final deployments
onto our live Apache servers under RedHat.

Any suggestions ? I'm woefully out of touch in what's out there that
can handle XML.

Thanks for any advice

Consider CVS (License: GPL) as option zero. It handless well text files.

You can put CVS tags in special xml nodes. CVS will update them during
check-ins/check-outs.

<mydocument>
<cvs-info>
<revision>$Revision$</revision>
<lastupdate>$Date: 2004/02/24 16:52:45 $</lastupdate>
<log>$Log$</log>
</cvs-info>
</mydocument>

P.S.
It is a good idea to compare any product to its free alternative - it helps
when you know what your are paying for :)

--
Andrzej [en:Andrew] Adam Filip (e-mail address removed) (e-mail address removed)
http://anfi.webhop.net http://slashdot.org/~anfi