    code around?

    Thanks,

    Joshua Weir
    Joshua Weir, Oct 6, 2004

  2. Although file extensions are arbitrary, for the sake of this discussion,
    yes, asp = ASP.old, and aspx = ASP.NET.

    Visual Studio uses "code behind" files when creating ASP.NET pages.
    Interlaced code still exists in ASP.NET though, or code in the same file.
    The code doesn't have to be in a separate file. Perhaps start here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=303247 or
    http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/100500-1.shtml#postadlink

    Also, so you know for any future, the microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.*
    groups are the ASP.old groups, whereas the ASP.NET groups have "aspnet" in
    their names.

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Oct 6, 2004

  3. Joshua Weir

    Joshua Weir Guest

    Thanks Ray this makes sense,

    Another question, say i have a simple vb.net form application that i want to
    implement with ASP.net. Does this mean i can pretty much implement all the
    functionality in the same way (assuming that ASP.net uses VB.net and not
    VBScript)

    ie. i create all the forms, then add vb.net code to each as i would in the
    form application.

    Or does it use a hybrid form of vb.net?

    Joshua Weir, Oct 6, 2004
  4. Did you read the part about how this is an ASP.old group. ;]

    Ray at home

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Oct 6, 2004
  5. Reply #2

    Part of the problem with ASP.NET, which is amplified by the usage of Visual
    Studio.NET, in my opinion, is that these things are desinged such that
    they're almost trying to "trick" the developer into either forgetting or
    never realizing that ASP.NET is still a Web-based technology that is not
    client-event-aware. Using ASP.NET, one can add an "onclick" event to a
    button that the server handles, but what's really happening is that ASP.NET
    is "automagically" generating the necessary HTML to make that click event
    post back data to the server where it automagically will "wire up" that
    event to the onclick code.

    In theory, ASP.NET functionality could be duplicated with a well organized
    library of include files. But, I personally will leave such tasks up to
    Microsoft...

    And the usage of .NET languages in ASP.NET is a benefit that cannot be
    overlooked, so don't get me wrong. I'm completely in favor of ASP.NET.

    So, no, you can't just take a VB.NET form and have it be an ASP.NET form.
    An ASP.NET form is still just an HTML form, although VS.NET will try to
    trick you into forgetting that. :]

    Ray at home

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Oct 6, 2004
  6. Joshua Weir

    Ron Guest

    Hey Joshua,

    when you are in design view, instead of going to the code behind module, you
    can click on the HTML tab at the bottom of the page in design view. this
    will take you to the HTML that you miss from classic ASP. in ASP.NET you
    have a Design view, and HTML view AND a code behind module (that you do not
    need to use).

    also, the fundamental difference between web development and "regular"
    windows form development with .NET is that windows forms programs use the
    System.Windows.Forms namespace and web forms use the System.Web.UI namespace.

    So even though it can "feel" the same when you are programming, it is not
    the same. lyou have to get familiar with the classes, objects methods etc
    etc of each namespace to become fluent.

    you might want to try some of the walkthroughs that come with the visual
    studio msdn help. it should help you get started.

    Ron

    Ron, Oct 6, 2004