VERY newbie question -- kinda long

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Mark Nold, Apr 8, 2004.

  1. Mark Nold

    Mark Nold Guest

    Hello All, 1st I am totally new to scriting languages, so bear with me
    please. My question is this:

    We have "button ads" on our site. Originally those were directed to
    the advertisers site by a simple href=http://www.blahblahblah.com.
    Now we want to track the "click thurs". So ive learned that its best
    to create a script and have the script be called so it creates an
    entry in the log file.

    Now, I have been able to create a very simple js script using
    window.location=. But Im not sure how, in the HTML area to call and
    activate this script. Seems to me i would need to use OnMouseClick
    somehow, but not sure how, where etc.

    Any help in how to accomplish this would be GREATLY apprecieated.

    If you want me to share the code format we are currently using and
    what i have tried, let me know.

    TIA.
    Mark Nold
    Mark Nold, Apr 8, 2004

  2. Mark Nold

    Ivo Guest

    "Mark Nold" wrote
    > We have "button ads" on our site. Originally those were directed to
    > the advertisers site by a simple href=http://www.blahblahblah.com.
    > Now we want to track the "click thurs". So ive learned that its best
    > to create a script and have the script be called so it creates an
    > entry in the log file.
    >
    > Now, I have been able to create a very simple js script using
    > window.location=. But Im not sure how, in the HTML area to call and
    > activate this script. Seems to me i would need to use OnMouseClick
    > somehow, but not sure how, where etc.
    >
    > Any help in how to accomplish this would be GREATLY apprecieated.
    >
    > If you want me to share the code format we are currently using and
    > what i have tried, let me know.

    That would be helpful, as I don't see how a window.location= would help
    straight away. In any case you will a serverside script to record the clicks
    in a serverside logfile. That serverside script can then forward to the
    final destination *without any javascript*. So if you change the links to be
    tracked from
    href="http://www.blahblahblah.com"
    href="mylogscript.php?url=http://www.blahblahblah.com"
    then mylogscript.php will be able to