    Best Regards,

    Jerzy Gbur

    , Jul 2, 2008

  2. wrote:

    > I've started to use emacs a week ago. It looks very impressive.
    > But..

    There are 2 types of people in this world - those that can use emacs, and
    those that can't. It is decided at birth, and there's nothing you can do
    to change that! ;)

    (For the record, I can't use emacs) :(

    Regards,

    --
    Mark McDougall, Engineer
    21-25 King St, Rockdale, 2216

    Mark McDougall, Jul 2, 2008

  3. "" <> writes:

    > Hello,
    > I'm FPGA designer, I work on Xilinx ISE tools (MS Windows XP).
    > I've started to use emacs a week ago. It looks very impressive.

    Good choice :) Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of emacs!

    > But..
    > 1. How can I organize working with projects? I have some projects
    > added to environment through putting their definition in .emacs file.
    > It looks messy for me. How can I do other way? How you do that?

    Export the project (Vhdl..project..export) to the same folder as your
    HDL files. When you open an HDL file, VHDL-mode looks for a .prj file
    in the same folder. Alternatively, when you have a hierarchy of
    folders and you open a file further down, you can do
    Vhdl..Project..Import project (or prod C-c C-p C-m) and you can read a
    project file in.

    > 2. Is there possibility to mark column region for copy/cut?

    Yes, but it's a bit weird if you've used any "normal" editors :)

    Set the mark at one corner of the rectangle, set the cursor to the
    other corner and do M-x kill-rectangle. You can then do M-x
    yank-rectangle to put it somewhere else.

    However, I do very little of this, as my usual reason for hacking
    around rectangles of text was for instantiating components and
    creating signal lists from entity declarations, which VHDL-mode does
    very nicely for me with just a few key pressses ;)

    Cheers,
    Martin

    http://www.conekt.net/electronics.html

    Martin Thompson, Jul 2, 2008

    On 2 Lip, 10:46, Martin Thompson <> wrote:
    > "" <> writes:
    > > Hello,
    > > I'm FPGA designer, I work on Xilinx ISE tools (MS Windows XP).
    > > I've started to use emacs a week ago. It looks very impressive.

    > Good choice :) Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of emacs!
    >
    > > But..
    > > 1. How can I organize working with projects? I have some projects
    > > added to environment through putting their definition in .emacs file.
    > > It looks messy for me. How can I do other way? How you do that?

    > Export the project (Vhdl..project..export) to the same folder as your
    > HDL files.  When you open an HDL file, VHDL-mode looks for a .prj file
    > in the same folder.  Alternatively, when you have a hierarchy of
    > folders and you open a file further down, you can do
    > Vhdl..Project..Import project (or prod C-c C-p C-m) and you can read a
    > project file in.

    Ok, I will do experiments.

    > > 2. Is there possibility to mark column region for copy/cut?

    > Yes, but it's a bit weird if you've used any "normal" editors :)
    >
    > Set the mark at one corner of the rectangle, set the cursor to the
    > other corner and do M-x kill-rectangle.  You can then do M-x
    > yank-rectangle to put it somewhere else.

    Yeah, it works :)))

    Thank you,

    Best Regards,

    Jerzy Gbur

    , Jul 2, 2008
  5. a écrit :
    > On 2 Lip, 10:46, Martin Thompson <> wrote:

    >>> 2. Is there possibility to mark column region for copy/cut?

    >> Yes, but it's a bit weird if you've used any "normal" editors :)
    >>
    >> Set the mark at one corner of the rectangle, set the cursor to the
    >> other corner and do M-x kill-rectangle. You can then do M-x
    >> yank-rectangle to put it somewhere else.

    There are key bindings for these
    C-x r k for killing the rectangle
    C-x r y for yanking it
    C-x r t to replace the rectangle with text
    There are others but I never use them

    Nicolas

    Nicolas Matringe, Jul 2, 2008
  6. omara007

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2008
    Messages:
    10
    I have one question regarding the VHDL-mode .. I actually started with Verilog-Mode before I try the VHDL-mode .. and I still have the impression that Verilog-mode is more mature ..

    Anyhow, anyone knows what should be done to automatically update a top-level module with the changes made to the interface/ports of a lower-level module ? .. should I still copy the ports from the Lower-Level Module to the Upper-Level one ? .. or there is any smarter method to do that, like in Verilog-mode when you open the top-level module file it directly senses the changes of the lower module .. and it asks you if you want to update or not ..

    omara007, Jul 3, 2008
  7. Reuven Guest

    On Jul 2, 11:00 am, Nicolas Matringe <> wrote:
    > a écrit :

    > >> Yes, but it's a bit weird if you've used any "normal" editors :)

    > >> Set the mark at one corner of the rectangle, set the cursor to the
    > >> other corner and do M-x kill-rectangle.  You can then do M-x
    > >> yank-rectangle to put it somewhere else.

    > There are key bindings for these
    > C-x r k for killing the rectangle
    > C-x r y for yanking it
    > C-x r t to replace the rectangle with text
    > There are others but I never use them
    >
    > Nicolas

    From Section 18.3 in the emacs user's guide.

    18.3 Saving Rectangles in Registers
    ===================================

    A register can contain a rectangle instead of linear text. The
    rectangle is represented as a list of strings. *Note Rectangles::,
    for
    basic information on how to specify a rectangle in the buffer.

    `C-x r r R'
    Copy the region-rectangle into register R
    (`copy-rectangle-to-register'). With numeric argument, delete it
    as well.

    `C-x r i R'
    Insert the rectangle stored in register R (if it contains a
    rectangle) (`insert-register').

    The `C-x r i R' command inserts a text string if the register
    contains one, and inserts a rectangle if the register contains one.

    See also the command `sort-columns', which you can think of as
    sorting a rectangle. *Note Sorting::.

    After practice, it's easier than initially perceived. :)

    regards,

    Reuven, Jul 3, 2008

    On 3 Lip, 19:07, Reuven <> wrote:
    > On Jul 2, 11:00 am, Nicolas Matringe <> wrote:
    >

    > > a écrit :

    > > There are key bindings for these
    > > C-x r k for killing the rectangle
    > > C-x r y for yanking it
    > > C-x r t to replace the rectangle with text
    > > There are others but I never use them

    > > Nicolas

    > From Section 18.3 in the emacs user's guide.
    >
    > 18.3 Saving Rectangles in Registers
    > ===================================
    >
    > A register can contain a rectangle instead of linear text.  The
    > rectangle is represented as a list of strings.  *Note Rectangles::,
    > for
    > basic information on how to specify a rectangle in the buffer.
    >
    > `C-x r r R'
    >      Copy the region-rectangle into register R
    >      (`copy-rectangle-to-register').  With numeric argument, delete it
    >      as well.
    >
    > `C-x r i R'
    >      Insert the rectangle stored in register R (if it contains a
    >      rectangle) (`insert-register').
    >
    >    The `C-x r i R' command inserts a text string if the register
    > contains one, and inserts a rectangle if the register contains one.
    >
    >    See also the command `sort-columns', which you can think of as
    > sorting a rectangle.  *Note Sorting::.
    >
    > After practice, it's easier than initially perceived. :)
    >
    > regards,
    > r- Ukryj cytowany tekst -
    >
    > - Poka¿ cytowany tekst -

    Hello,

    Thank all of you.
    All advices are very helpful.

    Every day, using emacs is easier then before :)

    Best Regards,

    Jerzy Gbur

    , Jul 4, 2008
  9. a écrit :

    > Hello,
    >
    > Thank all of you.
    > All advices are very helpful.
    >
    > Every day, using emacs is easier then before :)

    And then one day you start looking into regular expressions, then lisp
    (well, elisp actually) ... :)

    Nicolas

    Nicolas Matringe, Jul 4, 2008