VHDL/Software copyright questions

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Bob, Sep 3, 2004.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Hi,

    I have a couple of questions, I need cleared up, so perhaps you can
    help.

    Say I am contracted to design an FPGA or ASIC, or indeed write some
    e.g. 'C' code for another company. When finished, I supply the device
    netlist/programming file to the company, who pay me for my work.

    Q1...Who owns the source VHDL or in the case of software the source C
    code?

    Q2...Do I have any claims over the copyright in the case of source?

    Q3...If I develop some innovative hardware in the VHDL, who is the
    owner...company or me ?

    Some of these question may ask the same question, but I would like to
    clear them up.

    Many thanks
    Robert
    Bob, Sep 3, 2004

  2. Bob wrote:

    > Say I am contracted to design an FPGA or ASIC, or indeed write some
    > e.g. 'C' code for another company. When finished, I supply the device
    > netlist/programming file to the company, who pay me for my work.
    > Q1...Who owns the source VHDL or in the case of software the source C
    > code?
    > Q2...Do I have any claims over the copyright in the case of source?
    > Q3...If I develop some innovative hardware in the VHDL, who is the
    > owner...company or me ?

    Whatever it says in the contract.
    If it's not in the contract, it's debatable.

    -- Mike Treseler
    Mike Treseler, Sep 3, 2004

  3. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Hi Mike,

    For this current work....no contract(but I have been paid on
    everything so far so I'm not concerned about money), but in previous
    developments, contracts haven't mentioned anything.

    I just thought there might be a general rule of thumb for these
    situations.

    Kind Regards
    Bob

    Bob, Sep 5, 2004
  4. (Bob) wrote:
    > For this current work....no contract(but I have been paid on
    > everything so far so I'm not concerned about money), but in previous
    > developments, contracts haven't mentioned anything.
    >
    > I just thought there might be a general rule of thumb for these
    > situations.

    Each country has some laws defining rules for copyright in the
    described situations. There is no general rule applying for all
    countrys or contracts.
    It might be a difference wheter you are paid for doing a job
    (regardless of result) or paid for delivering a device (regardless of
    used resources).

    bye Thomas
    Thomas Stanka, Sep 7, 2004
  5. Bob