Video player in web page

Carl Gilbert

Hi

I have a web page in which I want to allow the user to play a small video
clip. I have a very simple design but I have no idea if it is possible.
I have put the design at the following URL:
http://www.blackwaterbadgers.co.uk/media_player.jpg

I might try and replace the 'play' text on the slider bar control with play
a pause icon depending on the play state of the video.
Does anyone know if this kind of design is achievable?

Regards, Carl Gilbert

Roy Schestowitz

Carl said:
Hi

I have a web page in which I want to allow the user to play a small video
clip.

Good, but be careful about the issue of openness.
I have a very simple design but I have no idea if it is possible.
I have put the design at the following URL:
http://www.blackwaterbadgers.co.uk/media_player.jpg

Do you intend to put a Flash clip (not a big fan...) somewhere inside the
frame? With a little bit of JavaScript, you can change the label of the
button, maybe even with CSS.

You might find the following useful, but please stick to Real.

http://www.streamalot.com/embed.shtml
I might try and replace the 'play' text on the slider bar control with
play a pause icon depending on the play state of the video.
Does anyone know if this kind of design is achievable?

Regards, Carl Gilbert

I related to some of these points above, I think.

Hope it helps,

Roy

Travis Newbury

Carl said:
I have a web page in which I want to allow the user to play a small video
clip. I have a very simple design but I have no idea if it is possible.
I have put the design at the following URL:
http://www.blackwaterbadgers.co.uk/media_player.jpg
I might try and replace the 'play' text on the slider bar control with play
a pause icon depending on the play state of the video.
Does anyone know if this kind of design is achievable?

It is very achievable. There will be a few visitors that may not be
able to use it because of their browser, but for the most part everyone
will be able to use it. the fancier you get with it the fewer people
will be able to see it. You might want to supply a link to the video
for those that can't use the embedded player.

Google "embed media player" and you will be rewarded with a ton of
sample code

Travis Newbury

Roy said:
You might find the following useful, but please stick to Real.

Why use Real? The coverage of real is a fraction of that what
Microsoft media player has.

Roy Schestowitz

Dylan said:
As in the format with a truly evil player that takes over your machine?

I know, I know. I complained about it before, quite openly even. I still use
Real on my Palm (for free) and I know I can watch RealPlayer feeds on
Linux. I am personally in favour of animated GIF's or uncompressed AVI's.

Roy

Roy Schestowitz

Travis said:
Why use Real? The coverage of real is a fraction of that what
Microsoft media player has.

Real is like the /rail/ at the jacuzzi. Only a small fraction of all people
actually need it, but you cannot discriminate against them. That's how you
kill an open society.

Roy

Travis Newbury

Roy said:
Real is like the /rail/ at the jacuzzi. Only a small fraction of all people
actually need it, but you cannot discriminate against them. That's how you
kill an open society.

Not encoding in Real format is hardly discrimination, nor will it kill
a society..

Travis Newbury

Roy said:
How can this be? Doesn't Windows come with Media Player (still in the EU)?
Even Windows 98 comes with decent compatibility. If you included some
decoders like DivX, I imagine you'd still end up above the mere 42%.
Then again, I hope the charts are correct.

Media player , (and Flash) both have come with windows since widows 98?
I would have guessed the 2 plug ins would have been a little closer in
numbers. But either way, I am obviously on the right track with Flash.
98%

Toby Inkster

Travis said:
Media player , (and Flash) both have come with windows since widows 98?

Windows Media Player came with Windows 3.x as it happens.

At a guess, they're using fairly recent codecs -- and note that the codec
plugin format changed between (IIRC) 6.4 and 7.0, so newer codecs won't
work with older versions of WMP, such as the one bundled with Windows 98.
But either way, I am obviously on the right track with Flash. 98%

Of course, the aurvey was sponsored by Macromedia, so amy be a little
biased.

Travis Newbury

Toby said:
Of course, the aurvey was sponsored by Macromedia, so amy be a little
biased.

Was the survey sponsored by flash? Did you see the survey? (you can
actually take if from the link you provided) It seemed very un-biased
to me. and Ipsos-Insite is pretty reputable. Never the less, There is
also a difference between having it installed, and using it. My guess
is that the percentage of random visitors that can see flash when they
go to a site is probably closer to the number that have javascript
turned on.

Noel

Real is like the /rail/ at the jacuzzi. Only a small fraction of all people
actually need it, but you cannot discriminate against them. That's how you
kill an open society.

Where exactly are the accessibility features that make RealPlayer a
must have for that small fraction of people?