Viewing a RTF File on Web Site

Vsoft

We have the following problem:
There is a RTF file that must be viewed on browser and we
have been developed a solution in Java to do it. But the
Java's VM is so bigger for download. So, we need a way to
view this file in client side without bigger downloads.
Any help will be welcome, because we work more than a
month in this problem. Thanks.

Michael D. Kersey

Vsoft said:
We have the following problem:
There is a RTF file that must be viewed on browser and we
have been developed a solution in Java to do it. But the
Java's VM is so bigger for download. So, we need a way to
view this file in client side without bigger downloads.
Any help will be welcome, because we work more than a
month in this problem. Thanks.

If the user's browser is hosted on a Windows machine running Internet
Explorer, then RTF files will usually be passed to Microsoft Word,
WordPad, or the Word Viewer. So if your client is on Windows, then you
should have little problem downloading reading RTF files; just make sure
that the RTF file extension is assigned to the appropriate program.
There *are* differences between the acceptable RTF format for various
versions of those programs, however, and those difference may restrict
what you can put in the RTF file.

On client systems other than Windows, you'll have to find an RTF viewer
AFAIK.

You may find that Microsoft's Word DOC file format has more widespread
support than RTF, because there are DOC file viewers/word processors
available on Linux/Unix(Star Office, Open Office).

Vsoft

Thanks for reply.
Because we try it and the printed document wasn't good.
The IE didn't format our document for print like the
original version.

Michael D. Kersey

Vsoft said:
Thanks for reply.
OK, but your solution requires that client have a RTF
Viewer in your computer. We'd like a way that requires
only a browser for te client.

AFAIK no browser will natively display RTF files; RTF files are always
passed to an RTF viewer.
In a similar manner, Microsoft Word DOC files are always passed to a DOC
processor, such as Microsoft Word or Star Office. Similarly PDF files
are passed to Adobe Acrobat Reader.

If you want the browser to natively display the file, then output it as
text or HTML (or XML for Internet Explorer recent versions). Or you
could generate a GIF or JPG image of the output and send that to the
browser.