    view this file in client side without bigger downloads.
    Any help will be welcome, because we work more than a
    month in this problem. Thanks.
    Vsoft, Jul 26, 2003

  2. Vsoft wrote:

    > We have the following problem:
    > There is a RTF file that must be viewed on browser and we
    > have been developed a solution in Java to do it. But the
    > Java's VM is so bigger for download. So, we need a way to
    > view this file in client side without bigger downloads.
    > Any help will be welcome, because we work more than a
    > month in this problem. Thanks.

    If the user's browser is hosted on a Windows machine running Internet
    Explorer, then RTF files will usually be passed to Microsoft Word,
    WordPad, or the Word Viewer. So if your client is on Windows, then you
    should have little problem downloading reading RTF files; just make sure
    that the RTF file extension is assigned to the appropriate program.
    There *are* differences between the acceptable RTF format for various
    versions of those programs, however, and those difference may restrict
    what you can put in the RTF file.

    On client systems other than Windows, you'll have to find an RTF viewer
    AFAIK.

    You may find that Microsoft's Word DOC file format has more widespread
    support than RTF, because there are DOC file viewers/word processors
    available on Linux/Unix(Star Office, Open Office).
    Michael D. Kersey, Jul 26, 2003

  3. Vsoft

    Vsoft Guest

    Thanks for reply.
    Because we try it and the printed document wasn't good.
    The IE didn't format our document for print like the
    original version.

    Vsoft, Jul 26, 2003
  4. Vsoft wrote:
    > Thanks for reply.
    > OK, but your solution requires that client have a RTF
    > Viewer in your computer. We'd like a way that requires
    > only a browser for te client.

    AFAIK no browser will natively display RTF files; RTF files are always
    passed to an RTF viewer.
    In a similar manner, Microsoft Word DOC files are always passed to a DOC
    processor, such as Microsoft Word or Star Office. Similarly PDF files
    are passed to Adobe Acrobat Reader.

    If you want the browser to natively display the file, then output it as
    text or HTML (or XML for Internet Explorer recent versions). Or you
    could generate a GIF or JPG image of the output and send that to the
    browser.
    Michael D. Kersey, Jul 27, 2003