Viewstate expires?

Chris Davoli

I store some stuff in view state and then if I leave the browser instance
alone say for 20 minutes, it gives me this message when I go to retrieve from
viewstate. Before it expires it works perfectly. Is there anything I can do
to not have it expire? Or what is it doing?

IT HIGHLIGHTS IN RED LINE 334

to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

Line 332: End If
Line 333:
Line 334: If
ViewState("SpecialInstructions").ToString.Trim.Length > 0 Then
Line 335: lblSpecialInstructions.Text =
ViewState("SpecialInstructions").ToString
Line 336: pnlSpecialInstructions.Visible = True

bruce barker

if your application timeouts, then on the postback when its restarted, a
new encryption key is assigned, thus it can not unencrypt the old viewstate.

you can preassign the encrypton key in the web config. see the
machinekeyentry in the web.config

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)