Virtual directories

John Hoge

I'm moving some intranet applications from asp to vs.net, and I am
wondering why VS insists on using a virtual directory. Most of my apps
are in local websites with their own IP and domain.

Is there a way to create a website in IIS that points to a specific
directory and then build a VS project in the root of that directory?
In other words, say site.domain.com points to e:\mysite, I would like
to build a VS application in e:\mysite instead of
e:\mysite\myapplication1 or some such virtual directory that VS
insists on creating. Seems simple, right?

Eric Marvets

It has to be in a virtual directory. Thats a requirement.

Here is a link to a doc on setting up ASP.NET, team development models,
SourceSafe, etc. All around a great article on setting up you development
environment:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnbda/html/tdlg_ch3.asp

--
Eric Marvets
Principal Consultant

the bang project

<shameless self promotion>

Email (e-mail address removed) for Information on Our
Architecture and Mentoring Services

</shameless self promotion>

PatricQ

I had more or less the same problem.

My solution (crude but it works) is to create a web application
project on my local machine (with IIS installed) and copy those files
to my webserver. Then I edited the project files itself to make sure
all the paths were correct.. This way I don't need a virtual directory
and VS.Net thinks I did everything by the book.

This principle also works when you want to run websites on different
ports (say 81).