Virtual Signals in Modelsim

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by a1_nocrap_exh@hotmail.com, Aug 8, 2006.

  1. Guest

    One of the best (and most under used) features of Modelsim is the
    virtual signals feature.

    Ok, so it needs a GUI to help create the functions/signals but I think
    it's great and use it all the time to say.... create virtual enumerated
    busses or quickly gate signals that I would otherwise have to change my
    HDL, recompile and resimulate. etc.

    However I've got this strange problem. I fire up Modelsim (6.1c) and
    load in my .do files (Which include virtual signals and functions) run
    my simulation and quit and for some strange reason Modelsim saves a
    file called virtuals.do

    This file has a copy of all virtual commands in my do files.

    I run modelsim again and it appends the same entries over to this
    virtuals.do.

    Each time I run modelsim this file gets bigger and bigger until it
    starts to slow down the simulator (when starting and exiting).

    Can anyone explain to me this behaviour? I could understand if it just
    saved newly created virtuals, but saving ones which have been loaded
    in? And saving the same ones over and over again?

    Any advice accepted.

    Alex

    , Aug 8, 2006

  2. On 8 Aug 2006 04:46:07 -0700, wrote:

    >I run modelsim again and it appends the same entries over to this
    >virtuals.do.

    I didn't know that; but it seems to me that you can easily enough
    get around it. When you load the sim, just do it with a little
    script that first does
    file delete virtual.do
    so that your file is created afresh.

    No promises - just a suggestion.

    A bug report to Mentor sounds good, too :)
    --
    Jonathan Bromley, Consultant

    DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how

    http://www.MYCOMPANY.com

    Jonathan Bromley, Aug 8, 2006

    Jonathan Bromley wrote:
    > On 8 Aug 2006 04:46:07 -0700, wrote:
    > do it with a little script that first does file delete virtual.do

    Sure but I was hoping for a parameter / command for modelsim.

    , Aug 8, 2006
  4. wrote:

    > Sure but I was hoping for a parameter / command for modelsim.

    do you have the .pdfs?
    check out "virtual save" options

    -- Mike Treseler

    Mike Treseler, Aug 8, 2006