virtualenv wrecked my Django+modules install

Alec Taylor

Good morning,

On my system (Windows 8 Developer Preview x64 with Python 2.7.2 x64) I
painstakingly installed all the dependencies for Django, Satchmo and a
few other large scale projects.

(about 10% couldn't be installed with pip, which is why I use the word
'painstakingly')

Recently though I needed Pinax for something, so following there guide
(http://pinax.readthedocs.org/en/latest/gettingstarted.html) I setup a
virtualenv for it.

Not only could I not get Pinax running, but when I went back to work
on my Satchmo-based project, and ran "manage.py runserver" I got the
following error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "P:\Prototype\Django\store\manage.py", line 18, in <module>
from django.core.management import execute_manager
ImportError: No module named django.core.management

Typing in `import django` from the interpreter gives me:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named django

Does this mean I need to install everything required by my project all
over again? - If so, should I take a virtualenv approach (and what
would the advantages be of doing so)?

Thanks for all suggestions,

Alec Taylor

8

88888 Dihedral

Use co-linux or VMware to do some experiment first.

This is better than those old days of workstations or the mainframes
from 5 to 10 vendors 20 years ago.

8

88888 Dihedral

Use co-linux or VMware to do some experiment first.

This is better than those old days of workstations or the mainframes
from 5 to 10 vendors 20 years ago.

alex23

Does this mean I need to install everything required by my project all
over again? - If so, should I take a virtualenv approach (and what
would the advantages be of doing so)?

Virtualenv should _never_ clobber any non-virtualenv installs, that's
the whole purpose of it.
Not only could I not get Pinax running, but when I went back to work
on my Satchmo-based project[...]

Did you de-activate the Pinax virtualenv before trying to work on your
other project? That's the only guess I have as to why you couldn't see
your original installation.

Alec Taylor

I ran Pinax-env\Scripts\deactivate.bat but it didn't change anything.

I'm skeptical if satchmo will work in a virtualenv, since many of its
dependencies (such as PIL) I had to install with a setup from here:
http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#pil

How would I get around this issue in a virtualenv?

P:\Prototype>where python
C:\Python27\python.exe

P:\Prototype>Pinax-env\Scripts\activate.bat
(Pinax-env) P:\Prototype>where python
P:\Prototype\Pinax-env\Scripts\python.exe
C:\Python27\python.exe