    Thanks!

    --
    Patrick
    Patrick, Apr 14, 2008

  2. why the hell would u want to use VB with java. I would rather kill
    myself than ever write VB again.
    Chase Preuninger, Apr 15, 2008

  3. Patrick

    Kam-Hung Soh Guest

    On Apr 14, 10:32 pm, Patrick <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've heard about the scripting framework in Java 6, and I wonder if it
    > would be difficult to have a VB interpreter in Java, or if something
    > like this already exists?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > --
    > Patrick

    Maybe this list would help:

    "Programming Languages for the Java Virtual Machine",
    http://www.robert-tolksdorf.de/vmlanguages.html

    --
    Kam-Hung Soh <a href="http://kamhungsoh.com/blog">Software Salariman</
    a>
    Kam-Hung Soh, Apr 15, 2008
  4. Patrick

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Patrick wrote:
    > I've heard about the scripting framework in Java 6, and I wonder if it
    > would be difficult to have a VB interpreter in Java, or if something
    > like this already exists?

    VBScript (not quite the same as VB6 !) should be doable.

    I am not aware of any implementation though.

    And I doubt there will be demand, because the VBScript
    language itself are not particular better than JavaScript,
    which does exist - and the typical VBScript user would expect
    support for COM object, which would not be possible.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Apr 15, 2008
  5. Patrick

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Chase Preuninger wrote:
    > why the hell would u want to use VB with java. I would rather kill
    > myself than ever write VB again.

    Maybe not Java programmers.

    But a Java app that need to allow the end users to do some simple
    scripting.

    They have JavaScript support, but maybe some experienced
    office users would prefer VBScript.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Apr 15, 2008
  6. Patrick

    Patrick Guest

    Le 15/04/2008 01:39, Chase Preuninger a écrit :
    > why the hell would u want to use VB with java. I would rather kill
    > myself than ever write VB again.

    We have an application in which lots of VB scripts were developed, and
    we want to rewrite this app in Java, without throwing all the scripts.
    Patrick, Apr 15, 2008
  7. Patrick

    Patrick Guest

    Le 15/04/2008 02:38, Arne Vajhøj a écrit :
    > Patrick wrote:
    >> I've heard about the scripting framework in Java 6, and I wonder if it
    >> would be difficult to have a VB interpreter in Java, or if something
    >> like this already exists?

    > VBScript (not quite the same as VB6 !) should be doable.
    >
    > I am not aware of any implementation though.
    >
    > And I doubt there will be demand, because the VBScript
    > language itself are not particular better than JavaScript,

    Our need is not to respond to a new demand, but to maintain existing
    scripts.

    > which does exist - and the typical VBScript user would expect
    > support for COM object, which would not be possible.

    Wouldn't it be possible with some Java/COM library, like Jacob, JCom,
    Com4J, Jawin, etc.?
    Patrick, Apr 15, 2008
  8. Patrick

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Patrick wrote:
    > Le 15/04/2008 02:38, Arne Vajhøj a écrit :
    >> Patrick wrote:
    >>> I've heard about the scripting framework in Java 6, and I wonder if
    >>> it would be difficult to have a VB interpreter in Java, or if
    >>> something like this already exists?

    >> VBScript (not quite the same as VB6 !) should be doable.
    >>
    >> I am not aware of any implementation though.
    >>
    >> And I doubt there will be demand, because the VBScript
    >> language itself are not particular better than JavaScript,

    > Our need is not to respond to a new demand, but to maintain existing
    > scripts.
    >
    >> which does exist - and the typical VBScript user would expect
    >> support for COM object, which would not be possible.

    > Wouldn't it be possible with some Java/COM library, like Jacob, JCom,
    > Com4J, Jawin, etc.?

    It should be possible. But it will also be a significant amount of work.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Apr 16, 2008