Visual Basic in Java?

Patrick

Hello,

I've heard about the scripting framework in Java 6, and I wonder if it
would be difficult to have a VB interpreter in Java, or if something
like this already exists?

Thanks!

Chase Preuninger

why the hell would u want to use VB with java. I would rather kill
myself than ever write VB again.

Arne Vajhøj

Patrick said:
I've heard about the scripting framework in Java 6, and I wonder if it
would be difficult to have a VB interpreter in Java, or if something
like this already exists?

VBScript (not quite the same as VB6 !) should be doable.

I am not aware of any implementation though.

And I doubt there will be demand, because the VBScript
language itself are not particular better than JavaScript,
which does exist - and the typical VBScript user would expect
support for COM object, which would not be possible.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Chase said:
why the hell would u want to use VB with java. I would rather kill
myself than ever write VB again.

Maybe not Java programmers.

But a Java app that need to allow the end users to do some simple
scripting.

They have JavaScript support, but maybe some experienced
office users would prefer VBScript.

Arne

Patrick

Le 15/04/2008 01:39, Chase Preuninger a écrit :
why the hell would u want to use VB with java. I would rather kill
myself than ever write VB again.

We have an application in which lots of VB scripts were developed, and
we want to rewrite this app in Java, without throwing all the scripts.

Patrick

Le 15/04/2008 02:38, Arne Vajhøj a écrit :
VBScript (not quite the same as VB6 !) should be doable.

I am not aware of any implementation though.

And I doubt there will be demand, because the VBScript
language itself are not particular better than JavaScript,

Our need is not to respond to a new demand, but to maintain existing
scripts.

which does exist - and the typical VBScript user would expect
support for COM object, which would not be possible.

Wouldn't it be possible with some Java/COM library, like Jacob, JCom,
Com4J, Jawin, etc.?

Arne Vajhøj

Patrick said:
Le 15/04/2008 02:38, Arne Vajhøj a écrit :

Our need is not to respond to a new demand, but to maintain existing
scripts.

Wouldn't it be possible with some Java/COM library, like Jacob, JCom,
Com4J, Jawin, etc.?

It should be possible. But it will also be a significant amount of work.

Arne