    Thanks,
    LuckyCarl
    , May 12, 2006

  2. Right ..

    --
    espen
    Espen Myrland, May 12, 2006

    wrote:
    > I will be in charge of maintaining a VC6 written application, and I
    > have Visual Studio 2005.
    > They have sent a few 'compilable' programs to me and when I put them in
    > VS2005 there's all kinds of errors. Some include,but not limited to:
    > right side of = must be l-value
    > strcpy is deprecated, use strcpy_s (and all the rest of them)
    >
    > My question is: Can I (and how to) set up the Visual Studio 2005 to
    > generate/compile/link .c and .cpp files like it would if it were VC6.

    I am using VS 2003, and I just import the .dsw files directly into a
    "solution", and it puts the compiler into some old compatibility mode
    (which is very strange because the version gets detected as if the
    compiler were the older version, and it reproduces all the old compiler
    bugs) and everything seems to work fine.

    Those messages look like they *must* be warnings. I.e., you should be
    able to dial down the warning level do make it so that they still
    compiler (in VS 2003, its project->properties->C/C++->General->Warning
    Level). The business about strcpy() almost certainly must be
    ignorable. If not, then I would say that Microsoft has just decided
    not to support the old code any more (which seems unlikely, unless they
    have gone completely insane).

    --
    Paul Hsieh
    http://www.pobox.com/~qed/
  4. Flash Gordon Guest

    wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> I will be in charge of maintaining a VC6 written application, and I
    >> have Visual Studio 2005.
    >> They have sent a few 'compilable' programs to me and when I put them in
    >> VS2005 there's all kinds of errors. Some include,but not limited to:
    >> right side of = must be l-value
    >> strcpy is deprecated, use strcpy_s (and all the rest of them)
    >>
    >> My question is: Can I (and how to) set up the Visual Studio 2005 to
    >> generate/compile/link .c and .cpp files like it would if it were VC6.

    > I am using VS 2003, and I just import the .dsw files directly into a

    <snip stuff about compiler>

    This should have been redirected to one of the windows programming
    groups where you will find lots of people who know about Visual Studio,
    including people who know Visual Studio 2005.

    <OT>
    You have to ensure you don't convert anything you will be sending back
    in to something your customer can't use, including the workspaces etc.

    Also, check the license terms. Some MS licenses also allow you to
    install older versions of products, and the best thing would be to use
    the same version as your customer.
    </OT>
    Flash Gordon, May 12, 2006