Visual Studio 2005 giving warning error about generating *.designer.vb files

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Nathan Sokalski, May 15, 2007.

  1. Visual Studio 2005 unexpectedly stopped generating the *.designer.vb files
    for *.aspx and *.ascx files. After a few days of frustration trying to fix
    this, I noticed that it had the following Warning in the Error List tab at
    the bottom of the screen:

    Generation of designer file failed: The relative virtual path '?/' is not
    allowed here. C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\CAT_aspnet\worldnews.aspx 0 0 CAT_aspnet

    Three things that I noticed about this warning were the following:

    1. The strange foreign character (?) that it says is trying to be used as a
    relative virtual path (The strange foreign character may appear as a
    question mark or some other character in this message due to formatting)
    2. It says it is located at Line 0, Column 0, which is not a valid location
    (or if it is, Visual Studio 2005 doesn't show it, since it starts numbering
    the lines at 1)
    3. I tried opening the file it says the error is in using other text editors
    as well, such as Notepad, and there are no unexpected characters there. In
    other words, I cannot find the ? character anywhere using any editor.

    This Warning appears for all of my *.aspx and *.ascx files, so the strange
    foreign character is obviously added by Visual Studio 2005 and is related to
    my problem of the *.designer.vb files not being generated, but how do I fix
    it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    --
    Nathan Sokalski

    http://www.nathansokalski.com/
    Nathan Sokalski, May 15, 2007

  2. Nathan,

    have you tried posting your VS 2005 question to the VS 2005 forums ?

    http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/default.aspx?ForumGroupID=6&SiteID=1

    The VS 2005 Development Teams patrol them,
    and you're likely to get a more authoritative answer there.

    You'll need a Passport/Windows Live ID to be able to post a question there.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/

    Juan T. Llibre, May 15, 2007