Visual Studio Mete Tags

Martyn Fewtrell

Does anybody have a definitive answer as to what if anything the Visual
Studio generated meta tags do.

I assume they do nothing outside the Visual Studio environment and can
safely be deleted?

Likewise the <body MS_POSITIONING="FlowLayout">. Clearly we need the body
tag but can the MS_Positioning be deleted? There doesn't appear to be a
problem when doing so, I would never use grid layout anyway!

Martyn Fewtrell
TNC Training and Consultancy.

Chris Jackson

Some of the meta elements are informational only. Others are used by the
designer. For example, the target schema is used to determine what schema to
apply to the code that you write, which is what provides the intellisense.
If you use notepad or emacs or some other designer, this may very well be
ignored. The positioning attribute is also used by the designer, to
determine what to do with things you drop onto it. If you do nothing but
write in code view, never use a designer, and don't need intellisense, then
you can get rid of all of the meta tags. It won't hurt anything, it just
removes features from the VS.NET environment.