Visual Web Dev Express 2005 and VS2003 Co-Existance

Guest

I currently have VS2003 .net 1.1 installed with a number of 1.1 projects
built in it. All of these projects create the /bin dll for deployment and
have been running on remote servers that have the 1.1 framework installed. If
I install Visual Web Developer Express Edition 2005 on my machine, it will
install the .net 2.0 framework. When I go back and open up the 1.1 projects
in VS2003 and deploy them again creating the /bin dll, will they run on the
remote server what only has .net 1.1 on it? Or does having the 2.0 framework
installed on my machine cause a build of the /bin dll to have some specific
2.0 items in it that will cause a 1.1 machine to make them crash?

I don't want to install VWDEE2005 and cause all sorts of problems to the
point of having to rebuild my laptop which can take up to 8 hours.

George

George

Juan T. Llibre [MVP]

What you need is Denis Bauer's
amazing ASP.NET Version Switcher:

http://www.denisbauer.com/NETTools/ASPNETVersionSwitcher.aspx

You will need to put the 1.1 and 2.0 apps
in different AppPools, though.

Otherwise, they won't run concurrently.

1. IIS Manager, "Application Pools", create one.
2. Assign your 2.0 apps to the DefaultAppPool
3. Assign your 1.1 apps to your new AppPool.
4. Use the ASP.NET Version Switcher to assign
the proper ASP.NET version to your Apps.

Enjoy!

Juan T. Llibre
===========

Guest

Thanks for the reply, but it does not answer my question. Perhaps I can post
it so it can be answered Yes or No.

1) I currently have VS2003 installed with 1.1
2) I have VS2003 projects that have had their /bin dll built and deployed on
remote servers that run 1.1
3) everything works fine on the remote servers that run 1.1
4) I install Visual WEb Express Dev 2005 (it installs the 2.0 framework)
5) I open the same projects as previously in VS2003 (not in VWED2005),
create the /bin dll again through VS2003 and copy to the same remote servers
that run 1.1
6) Will the web site run on the remote servers that run 1.1? Yes or No

Hope this clarifies - which is it, yes or no?

The caveat here is whether now having the 2.0 framwork on my machine puts
stuff in the /bin dll that VS2003 creates that will cause it to fail on a
separate 1.1 server. I appreciate the AppPool answer but obviously I have no
access to that on a remote web server through a hosting company.

Juan T. Llibre [MVP]

re:
6) Will the web site run on the
remote servers that run 1.1? Yes or No
Yes.

re:
The caveat here is whether now having the 2.0 framework on
my machine puts stuff in the /bin dll that VS2003 creates that
will cause it to fail on a separate 1.1 server.

As long as you haven't compiled the same application
with VWD 2005, nothing VWD 2005 creates will get
placed on the VS2003's application's /bin directory.

Have you converted your application's project
by opening it within VWD 2005 ?

If the answer is no, VS 2003 should
work as it always has worked.

If the answer is yes, you might have a problem.

Juan T. Llibre
===========

bruce barker

after installing any version of 2005, your local web server is updated to
support .net 2.0, along with 1.1. the express version will update all vdirs
to 2.0. you will have to manually set them back to 1.1 either by website
using iis or the aspnet_regiis.exe. your old projects will not run in VS
until you do this. when you create a new project, create the vdir first and
set the version of asp.net to the which version of VS you want to use.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

| I currently have VS2003 .net 1.1 installed with a number of 1.1 projects
| built in it. All of these projects create the /bin dll for deployment and
| have been running on remote servers that have the 1.1 framework installed.
If
| I install Visual Web Developer Express Edition 2005 on my machine, it will
| install the .net 2.0 framework. When I go back and open up the 1.1
projects
| in VS2003 and deploy them again creating the /bin dll, will they run on
the
| remote server what only has .net 1.1 on it? Or does having the 2.0
framework
| installed on my machine cause a build of the /bin dll to have some
specific
| 2.0 items in it that will cause a 1.1 machine to make them crash?
|
| I don't want to install VWDEE2005 and cause all sorts of problems to the
| point of having to rebuild my laptop which can take up to 8 hours.
|
| George
|
| George

Guest

Perfect! I appreciate your clear answer. Now to take this one step further
here's another scenario. Maybe you can help also.

Any changes made to codebehind files in VS2003 need to have a build applied
in order for me to see the change as I'm running the page in the browser.

Any changes to the VB or C# code in VWD2005 don't need anything done as I
can change the code for an event, save the page, do a refresh on the browser,
click on a button (or whatever) and immediately see the results without a
build.

If I don't save the VWD2005 projects with codebehind, but rather with the
script on top and the html on the bottom, like web matrix does, and I open
this source file in VS2003, will it see it correctly and break up the script
into a code behind, or will it leave the source member as is and keep
everything in one file. Can you even have the one file option (ala web
matrix) in VS2003? I haven't found it anywhere in the VS2003 config options.

The reason I ask this is because in VWD2005 you have the option of either
keeping everything in one file (ala web matrix) or having a separate code
behind. However, the code behind, because of it's
CompileWith="Default.aspx.vb" won't work in VS2003 or a 1.1 machine so that
option is out of the question. The only other option, at this point, is to
have everything in one file.

Why am I asking these questions? Because the client has to deploy using
VS2003 on 1.1 with /bin dll; because of the build thing, I'd rather develop
in VWD2005 so I don't have to deal with the /bin dll thing and just fly with
it. When I'm done, I can give it to them and they can put it into VS2003, do
their thing, and deploy. The fix/debug cycle is infinitely faster when you
don't need to do a build for every little change you make. That's the reason
for my questions and where I'm going with this. That whole /bin dll thing is
a complete pain when you are developing and testing.

Can it be done?

Guest

<<will update all vdirs
to 2.0. you will have to manually set them back to 1.1 either by website
using iis>>

Is this an admin tools/iis option? Where is this exactly? I have yet to dig
in as deeply as you guys have. I'd rather do it via click than command line.

Guest

hi, I read your posts carefuly. I can't understand - does the VWD express
2005 work without DLL files? So how can u deploy a project to a remote server?