VS 2003 + opening a connection to SQL SERVER 2000 database

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jon Delano, Nov 18, 2005.

  1. Jon Delano

    Jon Delano Guest

    Hey all

    I am building a new computer.
    I have Windows XP Pro with SP2 and all the updates.

    I installed VS 2003.
    Then copied a project from my old computer to the new one.

    When I try and run the project .. it errors out saying it "sql server does
    not exist or access denied"

    The connection string is obviously the exact same as when it ran on the old
    computer ... as all the files came from the old computer ... where the
    project works just fine.
    The MSSQL server is running on a seperate computer all together.

    I can open query analyzer and access the database, no problem. On the new
    machine.
    I can even use Tools .. Connect to Database ... in VS 2003 IDE and that
    works ...

    Just in my vb.net code is it failing .. and again .. it work just fine on
    the old development machine.

    Any ideas ??

    Thanks
    Jon
    Jon Delano, Nov 18, 2005

  2. Jon Delano

    Rick Guest

    what is your string connection?

    Rick, Nov 18, 2005

  3. Jon Delano

    Greg Burns Guest

    Is this a web app? What is does your connection string look like? Are you
    connection to SQL using integrated security? Is it using trying to use your
    local ASPNET account?

    Greg

    Greg Burns, Nov 18, 2005
  4. Jon Delano

    Greg Burns Guest

    Sorry for the bad grammar. :^) Let's try that again.

    Is this a web app? What does your connection string look like? Are you
    connecting to SQL using integrated security? Is it trying to use your local
    ASPNET account?

    Greg Burns, Nov 18, 2005
  5. Jon Delano

    Jon Delano Guest

    Hello Thanks all for the quick replies ...

    Here is the connection string as it sits in my web config file :
    <add key="RepositoryConnectionString"
    value="server=server;uid=sa;pwd=password;database=ShepherdRepository;Connect
    Timeout=120" />

    Here is the code that is running ...

    If Not IsPostBack Then

    Dim cmdCheckRepositoryAvailability As New SqlCommand
    Dim rdrCheckRepositoryAvailability As SqlDataReader
    Dim Conn As SqlConnection

    Try
    ' check the flag for repository availability
    Dim SQL As String
    Conn = New
    SqlConnection(ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("RepositoryConnectionString"))
    Conn.Open()

    SQL = "Select RepositoryAvailable from tblProperty"
    cmdCheckRepositoryAvailability = New SqlCommand(SQL, Conn)
    rdrCheckRepositoryAvailability =
    cmdCheckRepositoryAvailability.ExecuteReader

    If rdrCheckRepositoryAvailability.Read Then
    If rdrCheckRepositoryAvailability("RepositoryAvailable")
    = 0 Then
    ' its not available
    txtUserName.Enabled = False
    txtPassword.Enabled = False
    btnLogin.Enabled = False

    Label1.ForeColor = Color.Blue
    Label1.Font.Bold = True
    Label1.Font.Size = FontUnit.Medium
    Label1.Text = "<center>The repository is unavailable
    at this time.</center>"
    End If
    End If
    Catch
    txtUserName.Enabled = False
    txtPassword.Enabled = False
    btnLogin.Enabled = False

    Label1.ForeColor = Color.DarkBlue
    Label1.Font.Bold = True
    Label1.Font.Size = FontUnit.Medium
    Label1.Text = "<center>The repository is unavailable at this
    time.</center>"
    Finally

    cmdCheckRepositoryAvailability.Dispose()
    cmdCheckRepositoryAvailability = Nothing

    If Not rdrCheckRepositoryAvailability Is Nothing Then
    rdrCheckRepositoryAvailability.Close()
    End If

    rdrCheckRepositoryAvailability = Nothing

    Conn.Close()
    Conn = Nothing

    End Try

    This is a web application, I don't remember having to do anything special on
    the old development machine to be able to connect to SQL Server.
    As you can see I am using SQL Server Authentication (using sa is only in my
    test network <grin>)

    Thanks for any assistance, please let me know if there is anything else you
    need.

    Jon

    Jon Delano, Nov 18, 2005
  6. Jon Delano

    Greg Burns Guest

    I was not expecting to see sa being used. That definately eliminates a lot
    of my theories. :^)

    Only thing I have left to offer is perhaps XP SP2's firewall???

    Greg

    Greg Burns, Nov 18, 2005
  7. Jon Delano

    Jon Delano Guest

    Oh yeah ... the server that sql server 2000 is running on is Windows 2000

    Jon Delano, Nov 18, 2005
  8. Jon Delano

    Jon Delano Guest

    I checked that ... I have it off .. as I am using NAT and am behind a
    router.
    The server I am connecting to is behind the router as well.

    This is so strange ...

    Jon Delano, Nov 18, 2005
  9. Jon Delano

    Greg Burns Guest

    You say you are getting "sql server does not exist or access denied", but I
    don't see where you are recording the error in your catch statement. How
    can you tell what the error is from the code you posted?

    Try
    Catch ex as exception
    trace.warn(ex.tostring)
    Finally
    End Try

    Change your catch to something like that. You could, of course, put a
    breakpoint on the catch statement itself and take a look ex's value.

    Greg

    Greg Burns, Nov 18, 2005
  10. Jon Delano

    Jon Delano Guest

    In VS 2003 ... I had changed the catch to catch ex as exception ...
    Then put a break point in that section ... when it stopped there ... I did a
    quick watch on ex ...

    Jon Delano, Nov 18, 2005
  11. Jon Delano

    Greg Burns Guest

    Try some of these trouble shooting things.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827422

    I would also verify with a watch that the value being read from the
    web.config is what you think it is.

    Greg

    Greg Burns, Nov 18, 2005
  12. Jon Delano

    Greg Burns Guest

  13. Jon Delano

    Jon Delano Guest

    Will do .. thanks ... and did a watch on that too :-D

    I appreciate all your assistance.

    Thank you

    Jon Delano, Nov 18, 2005
  14. Jon,

    Please review this KB, and see if it applies to your case :
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315159

    If your ASP.NET worker process is running under the ASPNET account,
    and your SQL server is using named pipes to receive connections,
    there's a bug for the .Net Framework 1.1 and ASP.NET 1.1 :
    the ASPNET account cannot establish a named pipes connection to the
    SQL server, unless you do one of these two things :

    1. Turn on impersonation for your ASP.NET application.

    2. Use TCP/IP instead of the named pipes protocol to connect to the db.

    To use TCP/IP, add "Network Library =dbmssocn" to your connection string.

    "User ID=sa;Password=Password;Initial Catalog=ShepherdRepository;Data
    Source=server;Connect Timeout=120;Network Library =dbmssocn"

    If you use impersonation you don't have to do that, but remember
    that the Application's user will be changed to IUSR_Machinename

    ( That's why using impersonation works,
    because it doesn't use the ASPNET account any more ).

    Juan T. Llibre, ASP.NET MVP
    ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ASPNETFAQ.COM : http://www.aspnetfaq.com/
    Foros de ASP.NET en EspaƱol : http://asp.net.do/foros/
    ======================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Nov 18, 2005
  15. Jon Delano

    Jon Delano Guest

    It is certainly looking more like the ASPNET user ... I just created a new
    project .. a Windows App .. worked just fine.
    One button that created a connection .. and used the exact connection string

    Then created a new web app ... with just the one button ..
    that fails

    I added the Network Library=dbmssocn to my connection string, still errors
    out.

    Will keep plugging away.

    Thanks again for everything.

    Jon Delano, Nov 18, 2005
  16. Jon Delano

    Jon Delano Guest

    I installed VS 2005 ... that works fine.
    VS 2003 .. doesn't ... it has to be something with 1.1 .. no ?

    Jon Delano, Nov 18, 2005
  17. Jon Delano

    Greg Burns Guest

    "Jon Delano" <> wrote in message
    >I installed VS 2005 ... that works fine.
    > VS 2003 .. doesn't ... it has to be something with 1.1 .. no ?

    Well, VS 2005 web apps runs filesystem-based by default when developing.
    Not even sure if it is using the ASPNET user in that context.

    Do you have the same problem if you create you test project in VS 2005 using
    IIS?

    Greg
    Greg Burns, Nov 19, 2005
  18. Jon Delano

    Jon Delano Guest

    I created a test project in VS 2005 .. its a web app .. and it connects to
    the sql server, using the same connection string I use in VS 2003.
    2005 works.. no problem.

    I created a seperate test project in VS 2003 ... web app .. using the same
    connection string ... it doesn't work.

    Each is just a webform .. with a button .. when the button is clicked .. it
    creates a connection .. closes the connection ... and thats it

    Jon Delano, Nov 21, 2005
  19. Jon Delano

    Jon Delano Guest

    The continuing saga ...

    Well just to make sure it wasn't an XP installation problem. I installed a
    new copy of XP into a new folder.
    I then reinstalled vs.2003 ... it exhibits the same problem ... doesn't find
    my sql server .. when a test web project is run.

    Only other thing I can come up with, is the vs 2002 was installed on my
    current development machine prior to vs 2003 being installed.
    Could that be something that might effect vs 2003 on the new machine, the
    fact thet VS 2002 was never installed ?

    Jon Delano, Nov 29, 2005