VS 2005 vs. Expression Web...

Edward B.

So I started using Expression Web recently, and found its interface very
much like VS 2005. Moved around within it just fine, etc. But then I started
getting into some heavy ASP.NET programming, and found that VS 2005 was able
to handle things like Events much easier.

However, switching back to VS 2005 I found the code that Expression Web
generated contains a lot of ASP.NET, XHTML, etc. errors throughout it! I
thought the two apps would be fairly compatible in terms of the code that
they generate, but no!

So should I just ignore Expression Web and stick with VS 2005? I do a lot of
ASP.NET, using VB and C#, and database work.

Just seeing what others suggest, or if you have had a similar experience...

-Ed

Guest

Edward,
Expression Web is really for design work, It is not designed to compile .NET
code.
Think of it like a Microsoft version of Dreamweaver.
Peter

Guest

So I started using Expression Web recently, and found its interface very
much like VS 2005. Moved around within it just fine, etc. But then I started
getting into some heavy ASP.NET programming, and found that VS 2005 was able
to handle things like Events much easier.

However, switching back to VS 2005 I found the code that Expression Web
generated contains a lot of ASP.NET, XHTML, etc. errors throughout it! I
thought the two apps would be fairly compatible in terms of the code that
they generate, but no!

So should I just ignore Expression Web and stick with VS 2005? I do a lot of
ASP.NET, using VB and C#, and database work.

Just seeing what others suggest, or if you have had a similar experience...

-Ed

http://blogs.msdn.com/mikhailarkhip...s-visual-studio-and-visual-web-developer.aspx

Mark Fitzpatrick

It's not really a comparison. MS created them to work together. The
Expression suite of products is designed at creating compelling interfaces.
Interfaces that can be used with Visual Studio to create the backend work.
Of course, Expression Web can also do some light lifting, but it's not in
the same league as far as coding goes. I use it in conjunction with VS as EW
is easier to create the interface in then I code the backend and do more
advanced things with VS.

bruce barker

Expression is compatable with the next release of Visual Studio.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Edward B.

Thanks to all those who replied. I get it now.

And this last comment explains why I am running in to what I am running in
to re: the interface parts of the code, etc.

Alright, now I can keep the two separate in my head.

-Ed

Visual Studio is more of a professional development tool.
Expression Web is more of a design tool; it is the replacement for
FrontPage.
The best parts of Expression Web are integrated into the next version of
Visual Studio (codenamed Orcas).