vs.net creates doctype wrong?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Ian, Jun 20, 2004.

  1. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Hi there,

    I have been playing around with DIV TAGS in dreamweaver and just created a
    webpage in VS which I was going to edit later in Dreamweaver..

    Once i attached all my divs and css etc, the css positioning wasn't working
    but I fixed it

    it was this line ... it needs to be this

    rather than the default that VS.net puts in which is

    How bizzare!, anyway anybody know how to force VS.net to use the correct
    doctype when it creates new documents??

    I do I just copy it wrong dreamweaver all the time?

    Thanks in advance

    Ian
    Ian, Jun 20, 2004

  2. Ian

    Robert Gaut Guest

    Ian,

    Actually, VS.NET is using a correct doctype - 4.0 Transitional in "quirks"
    mode. Unfortuantely, we'll have to wait for Whidbey (VS.NET 2005) before we
    can get XHTML output from ASP.NET server controls. Currently, VS.NET is
    supplying the best doctype for the markup the server controls output.

    Now... If you really want to change the template for the WebForm (or create
    your own custom template) so that it always has the doctype you want, check
    out the templates in the installation directory for VS.NET (C:\Program
    Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
    2003\Vb7\VBWizards\WebForm\Templates\1033). You might also hit Google and
    search for "vs.net webform template"; there are several articles on how to
    change and/or create templates.

    I hope this helps!
    Robert Gaut

    Robert Gaut, Jun 21, 2004

  3. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Great thanks for the answer,

    No probs... at the moment I can enter in manually or use your suggestion, I
    just thought they might have been another way I was overlooking..

    Thanks again

    Ian

    Ian, Jun 21, 2004