VS2003 Tutorial?

EPPack

I have a full, legal copy of Visual Studio.net 2003 on my work machine, I
don't need the free product that was suggested [in another ng], (unless it
has a built in tutorial). However, I have no major clue how to create a
sophisticated asp.net application in VS. I can find my way around the basic
VS interface easily enough thanks to a generic VS class I took, but that's
it. I guess what I actually need is a GOOD and DETAILED tutorial for asp.net
in VS.

What I will be doing is creating ASP.net programs utilizing SQL Server
databases, not VB.net projects. However, since the ASP.net db related stuff
works with VB syntax etc, there's the rub. The HTML part is not the problem,
it's the VB. I don't know the syntax, nor the "methods" etc, or anything
else. I see all of the reference entries on MSDN, but how and where and when
to use what? Dunno. I wasn't even sure what "class" and "controls" meant in
this context, for example (I sortof do now). I've created simple asp.net
apps (from random tutorials I found) with no "fancy" stuff like logging in
or editing form data and saving the data to a db, or doing reports based on
form selection criteria, etc etc. The class I took touched briefly on
asp.net and all it did was a browser-based interest calculator. No database
access at all except to create a quick and dirty grid, which was not helpful
to me at all.

I can easily do everything I need to do in (non .net) asp pages using a
mishmash of VB Script and ASP/ADO stuff. Not fancy, not elegant, but it
works very nicely. I need to move into .Net, tho, and there's where I get
lost.

So can anyone suggest any really good *asp.net* tutorials? We've looked
around our smallish city and there does not appear to be any training
outfits that offer relevant classes or that are reasonably affordable, hence
my turning to the web. Books are fine, but my inclination is the web if only
because tech evolves so quickly and books quickly get outdated.

Hope this makes sense :)

sloan

Yeah, that is an issue.

Those week long classes don't cut it, do they?

I'd take 3 days off from work, and head over to nelson county, and work
through some examples.

The UI components .. you just figure out which one suits your needs the
best. that comes with experience.

The hack or not to hack comes from understanding tiered development.

GONE are the days of

for each field f in rs.fields
response.write "<td>" & f.value & "</td>"
next f

Get that Response.Write out of your system/mind for the most part.

I'd check this out:
http://www.15seconds.com/issue/050721.htm

My asp to asp.net advice includes:

asp.net is NOT asp
ADODB.RecordSet doesn't exist anymore. (philosophically, not 100% in
reality), get used to it.
writing out table,tr,and td tags is not the way to do it.

Here is some other tips:

http://www.codeproject.com/gen/design/DudeWheresMyBusinessLogic.asp

That will help you understand the issue.

He may go a little overboard with the "it has to be simple Select Insert
Update and Delete statements", but the article is good.

Presentation
Biz
DataLayer

A couple of rules (imho)

The DataLayer returns
DataSets,
IDataReaders,
Scalars (values like the count of employees in the database or number of
affected rows)
void (nothing, the code just ran ok)

Now read those again. Now read them again. If you DAL is doing something
else, then its not a DAL.
Use your biz layer to handle any rules.

The biz layer talks to the datalayer.
The presentation layer talks to the biz layer.
The presentation layer DOES NOT TALK to the datalayer.

You put business rules in the biz layer. Sounds simple, but alot of people
miss it.

If an emp needs to have a date of birth before some date, it goes in teh biz
layer.
Don't put it in the presentation layer.

Now, sometimes... after you put that birthdate rule in the biz layer. you
~might put it in the presentation layer FOR WEB PAGES.
Only because you might save yourself a trip to the webserver and back.
This does not REPLACE the biz layer logic (the need to put it there), it is
an addition to add in... to save a trip to the server.
This is where alot of developers miss the point. Because they're used to
writing javascript to check the date of birth, they forget to put it in the
biz layer.

well tiered development isn't something you learn overnight, but you'll
never get it if you don't try.

Good luck.!

I wish there was a good tutorial out there, but I have't found one.

It takes walking thru the code..... and self teaching...but while not under
job stress.

I'd just not just reading it, but take those URLS above. and actually code
up a simple pubs example .. using the good design.

The last thing I'd look into is the EnterpriseLibrary (check msdn )

esp the DataAccess one, it IS worth the time hump to learn how to use it, to
avoid writing back hacked up data access code.

The DataAccess portion of the EnterpriseLibrary is NOT your data layer.. it
is a HELPER to your data layer.

EPPack said:
[...]

sirfunusa said:
Google "asp.net tutorials"

Thanks. I think :) I did that, got a TON of hits, and was looking for
recommendations on tutorials that are ESPECIALLY good and detailed and
assume no (or little) prior knowledge of VB, assuming such animals exist.

elaine

EPPack

sirfunusa said:
Get a book. Things don't change that quickly.

Can you (or anyone) recommend a GOOD "how-to" book then? Is the SAMS Teach
Yourself VS 2005/ASP.NET book(s) any good? Not looking for a pure reference
book, mind you, that can come later. I'm looking for a nuts & bolts tutorial
on how to create programs from scratch, assuming little initial info. The
SAMS book on Visual Basic 6 that I found is very good in this regard, IMO.
For me anyway :)

thanks

sirfunusa

You can continue to ask questions, or get busy learning! Yes, that book
will do

EPPack

sirfunusa said:
You can continue to ask questions, or get busy learning! Yes, that book
will do

Heh! Don't worry about that :) I'm not shy about asking questions, and I'm
busy learning now :)

The VB6 tutorial I mentioned is working well for me so far by giving me the
basic structure of the language. I've piddled enough with VS.Net to know
that there IS a bit of a carry over, in that there are some similarities in
basic structures and terminology--I'm seeing stuff now in VB6, and remember
it from what little I do know about VS.net but had no clue about before. I'm
not planning to be a VB6 programmer, I just hope to be able to take away
enough of the basics so that when I do get into VS.net, it won't be totally
foreign to me (as it was before). Not everyone will agree with this
approach, but so be it. I'm feeling very comfortable with it at the moment,
if only that it is building my confidence. As soon as I find a good VS.net
book, I may abandon this approach, but until then, I can live with it.

elaine