W3C validation site ltips?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by xyZed, Jun 26, 2003.

  1. xyZed

    xyZed Guest

    Has anyone else noticed that you only get a "Tip of the day" once a
    page validates? If your page doesn't validate you don't get a tip.

    Don't you need the tips if your pages don't validate?

    eg.

    Tip Of The Day:

    Don't forget to add a doctype!

    If you don't add a doctype, you can't validate and so you can't see
    the tip to add a doctype

    --

    It's a cruel world we live in. A man's lucky if he gets out alive.

    www.washerhelp.com [remove mymask_ to email]

    xyZed, Jun 26, 2003

  2. xyZed

    spaghetti Guest

    "xyZed" <xyzed@mymask_blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > If you don't add a doctype, you can't validate and so you can't see
    > the tip to add a doctype

    Well, it seems alot of the W3 people have no sense of usability, design, or
    visual beauty at all.

    spaghetti, Jun 26, 2003

  3. xyZed

    xyZed Guest

    There is circumstantial evidence that on Fri, 27 Jun 2003 07:51:15
    +1000, brucie <> wrote

    >› In post <>
    >› xyZed said...
    >›
    >› > Has anyone else noticed that you only get a "Tip of the day" once a
    >› > page validates? If your page doesn't validate you don't get a tip.
    >›
    >› wouldn't your priority be fixing the errors on your page rather than
    >› wondering off somewhere to read about "click here" links before fixing
    >› your errors?

    There aren't any click here links. You just get the tip at the top of
    the congratulation validation page. If your page doesn't validate (in
    which case the tips might actually be useful) you don't get one.

    Where's the logic in that?

    --

    We've all got one - www.washerhelp.com

    [remove mymask_ to email]

    xyZed, Jun 26, 2003
  4. xyZed

    Dan Langille Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 21:17:02 GMT, xyZed <xyzed@mymask_blueyonder.co.uk>
    wrote:

    > Don't you need the tips if your pages don't validate?

    Get the tips by validating the w3c pages....
    --
    Dan Langille
    resume: http://www.langille.org/

    Dan Langille, Jun 26, 2003
  5. brucie <> wrote:

    > the only tips that have anything to do with validating your page is
    > "use the alt attribute" and "don't forget to add a DTD" which is a
    > bit redundant because if you don't have one the validator will tell
    > you.

    The former is redundant, too, since if you use a validator in the first
    place, it will report any elements that needs an alt attribute but
    hasn't got one. (Except if you validate against a weird HTML DTD that
    does not make alt mandatory in certain elements. Then again, the tip is
    _wrong_ then, in the validation context!)

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jun 27, 2003
  6. xyZed

    Isofarro Guest

    xyZed wrote:

    > Has anyone else noticed that you only get a "Tip of the day" once a
    > page validates? If your page doesn't validate you don't get a tip.
    >
    > Don't you need the tips if your pages don't validate?

    Nothing wrong with offering quality reward when you manage to submit a valid
    page.

    > eg. > Tip Of The Day:
    > Don't forget to add a doctype!
    >
    > If you don't add a doctype, you can't validate

    Not true. You can use the dropdown menu to select a particular DTD to
    validate against.

    --
    Iso.
    Web Standards: http://www.webstandards.org/