    on whether to wait for Python 3's final release and learn it or just
    go ahead and learn 2.x. Would it be hard to make the transition being
    a noob?

    Eric, Oct 1, 2008

  2. Eric

    Matimus Guest

    On Sep 30, 4:20 pm, Eric <> wrote:
    > I've been wanting to learn Python for a while now but I can't decide
    > on whether to wait for Python 3's final release and learn it or just
    > go ahead and learn 2.x. Would it be hard to make the transition being
    > a noob?

    It shouldn't be a hard transition. I would recommend learning 2.x
    anyway. You are likely to want to use 3rd party modules (or you will
    anyway). You won't want to wait for module support to be added in 3.0.
    The 2.x series isn't going to go away for quite a while. I think they
    are planning to continue to do releases all the way up to 2.9 or so.
    Even then, the biggest thing that a new user is going to run into is
    `print("stuff")` vs. `print "stuff"`.

    Matt

    Matimus, Oct 1, 2008

  3. Eric

    Asun Friere Guest

    On Oct 1, 9:20 am, Eric <> wrote:
    > I've been wanting to learn Python for a while now but I can't decide
    > on whether to wait for Python 3's final release and learn it or just
    > go ahead and learn 2.x. Would it be hard to make the transition being
    > a noob?

    If you only want to learn why do you need to wait for py3.0's final
    release? Get the rc1 and start learning now. On the other hand if
    you want to write production code get 2.5 and start writing now, most
    of what you'll learn between now and the final release of 3.0 will not
    change.

    Asun Friere, Oct 1, 2008