Want a regular Ruby Quiz? (long)

George Ogata

James Edward Gray II said:
I'm unfamiliar with this book, but it's looking good so far. Pick a
favorite problem or three and submit then to
(e-mail address removed) when you have a chance.

Are you familiar with http://acm.uva.es/problemset/ ?

From the site:

"Here you will find hundreds of problems. They are like the ones used
during programming contests, and are available in HTML and PostScript
formats. You can submit (by web or mail) your C, C++, Pascal or Java
sources, trying to solve any of the problems available in our
database. Please read the docs if you want to know more about the
submission methods and the judge itself."

Write a validator that accepts ruby solutions, and you'll become a
hero overnight. ;)

Robert Klemme

Main Question: I can spare the time to organize and run a Ruby Quiz.
Would you, the Ruby community, like to have that?

I'd love to see this although I don't know how much time I will be able to
devote to it (either solving or coming up with questions). I'll probably
will participate once in a while. Anyway, I appreciate your efforts very
much.

The only thing I would hate so see about this is a quiz dieing off after
some weeks due to lack of participation. Often these things start out
euphoric and then peter out after some time.

Just keep it simple (no automated retardation of solutions, no web based
test frameworks for each quiz etc.) - that increases the likelyhood of
survival IMHO. :)

Kind regards

robert

James Edward Gray II

The only thing I would hate so see about this is a quiz dieing off
after some weeks due to lack of participation. Often these things
start out euphoric and then peter out after some time.

Perl's Quiz of the Week has definitely suffered from this problem more
than once in the past. Its latest reincarnation relies solely on fan
support and it seems to be doing better in that form.

I just fetched Ruby Talk's active members list and got 1,100 names. If
all those people send in a single quiz, we can run for a little over 21
years. I think it would take very little effort to make this great if
we get behind it as a community.

I promise to do my best to make the quiz worthwhile. Eventually though
I'll do something silly like go on vacation. You can help with that.
You're part of this 21 year run amounts to just a single submission:

(e-mail address removed)

This has been a public service announcement. Support your local Ruby
Quiz. ;)

James Edward Gray II