Want recursive SQL query function to generate breadcrumb navigation

Guest

I'd want to make a custom class that will generate breadcrumb navigation for
my site via a recursive query, e.g. Home > Page1 > Subpage 1. I've
structured my database with hierarchical parent/child relationships. Can
someone help me set up the code structure?

I'm using ASP VBScript, and I have a table structure similar to the
following:

NavItems
----------
NavitemID (PK)
Nav_ParentID
Nav_Name

The top level record in the entire table is "1", but it would be nice if I
could parameterize the function so that I could specify the ID of the
current page and the ID of the topmost ID I want to trace to, e.g.

GetTrailOfBreadcrumbs(CurrentNavitemID, TopmostNavitemID)

The least expensive approach from the standpoint of the database would be
something that used something besides ADO recordsets to grab the data. If
someone has some code lying around or can offer some guidance, I'd sure
appreciate it.

Thanks.

-KF

Bob Barrows [MVP]

I'd want to make a custom class that will generate breadcrumb
navigation for my site via a recursive query, e.g. Home > Page1 >
Subpage 1. I've structured my database

What database? It's relevant.

Bob Barrows

Guest

I use SQL Server 2000, and I have access to stored procedures.

Whatever's returned by the DB needs to have more information than just the
text label, since I'm also going to want to be generating HTML links from
this. My database table includes a "link" field.

Thanks again, Bob.