Want source control system; suggestion for a one developer, MS-centric shop?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Guest, Jul 21, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I need source control to serve just one developer: me. Can someone suggest a
    system that would suit my needs? I am the only person writing code, and I
    manage the servers. Many of the SC solutions out there seem premised around
    the needs of a large team and coordinating their work. That's not me.

    Data points that might help: I'm on MSDN Universal. My environment is VS.NET
    2005, multiple Windows 2003 Server boxes with replicated filesystems.
    Ideally the system is easy to use and integrated with VS.NET's IDEs. Ideally
    the system supports check in and check out of work I might do with my
    laptops. Ideally the system is cheap or free. ;) My primary interest in
    source control is being able to revert to older, non-broken code if I need
    to. Most of what I'm writing these days deals with either ASP.NET web
    applications or Flash/Actionscript code and binaries.

    As I've never coded in a professional shop and seen how other code warriors
    work, it will help if you can presume very little knowledge on my part about
    how these things go.

    Thanks,
    -KF
    Guest, Jul 21, 2006

  2. Despite what people will tell you, Visual Source Safe would be fine for you.

    I *think* you have a license for a copy with your MSDN subscription.

    Brendan Green, Jul 21, 2006

  3. RE: Want source control system; suggestion for a one developer, MS-cen

    > I need source control to serve just one developer: me. Can someone suggest a
    > system that would suit my needs?

    Can you not use SourceSafe from your MSDN subscription?

    If not then I think Subversion has a visual studio plugin
    http://subversion.tigris.org/
    =?Utf-8?B?TGVvbiBNYXluZQ==?=, Jul 21, 2006
  4. Hi,

    Thank you for your post.

    I also recommend that you use Visual SourceSafe since it's already included
    in your MSDN subscription (included in Visual Studio). And we also have a
    managed newsgroup for it: microsoft.public.vstudio.sourcesafe

    Sincerely,
    Walter Wang (, remove 'online.')
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    ications.

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Jul 21, 2006

    Guest Guest

    Please tell me generally how a programmer uses VSS (2005?) in day-to-day
    work. How is the interface represented in the VS.NET IDE (if at all?)? What
    UI actions do you take to get at your previous instances and versions? How
    do you designate a directory or directories to be source controlled?

    Is it easy or difficult to back up the databases that VSS creates?

    Thanks
    -KF

    Guest, Jul 21, 2006

    Guest

    also consider Subversion, a free and open source source-control
    program.

    check out hosted subversion at http://wush.net/subversion.php , they
    host the subversion database for you, back it up, and it's $7/month

    am wrote:
    > Please tell me generally how a programmer uses VSS (2005?) in day-to-day
    > work. How is the interface represented in the VS.NET IDE (if at all?)? What
    > UI actions do you take to get at your previous instances and versions? How
    > do you designate a directory or directories to be source controlled?
    >
    > Is it easy or difficult to back up the databases that VSS creates?
    >
    > Thanks
    > -KF
    >

    > "Walter Wang [MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Thank you for your post.
    > >
    > > I also recommend that you use Visual SourceSafe since it's already
    > > included
    > > in your MSDN subscription (included in Visual Studio). And we also have a
    > > managed newsgroup for it: microsoft.public.vstudio.sourcesafe
    > >
    > > Hope this helps. Please feel free to post here if anything is unclear.
    > >
    > > Sincerely,
    > > Walter Wang (, remove 'online.')
    > > Microsoft Online Community Support

    > > ications.
    > >
    > > Note: The MSDN Managed Newsgroup support offering is for non-urgent issues
    > > where an initial response from the community or a Microsoft Support
    > > Engineer within 1 business day is acceptable. Please note that each follow
    > > up response may take approximately 2 business days as the support
    > > professional working with you may need further investigation to reach the
    > > most efficient resolution. The offering is not appropriate for situations
    > > that require urgent, real-time or phone-based interactions or complex
    > > project analysis and dump analysis issues. Issues of this nature are best
    > > handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer by contacting
    > > Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) at
    > > http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/support/default.aspx.

    > > rights.

    , Jul 21, 2006
  7. Hi,

    I worked with VSS6.0 and I got along quite well with it.
    But instead of hitting right away the sourcesafe newsgroup I would recommend
    you first to practice the typical tasks you want to acomplish with VSS for a
    couple of hours. It helped me a lot to get acquainted with check in, check
    out, revisioning, labeling, getting code of a certain revision / label etc.

    Then you can use VSS in your real project without coursing about your lack
    of knowledge of source control.

    Sincerly,
    a curious sql-cursor

    Curious Trigger, Jul 21, 2006
  8. Hi,

    Thank you for your update.

    Based on your requirements, I recommend you read following articles in
    order (please note: these are only some recommended articles, you may still
    need to refer to VSS help from time to time):

    First, you need to get some idea what's VSS and the concept of Version
    Control and History:

    #Getting Started with Visual SourceSafe 6.0
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/guides/html
    /vstskgetting_started.asp

    #VSS: Version Control and History
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/guides/html
    /vstskversion_control_and_history.asp

    Then you need to learn how to setup a VSS database:

    #Setting Up a VSS Database
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/guides/html
    /vstskmaintain_the_user_list_basic_tasks.asp

    Next, you need to learn how to create a VSS project:

    #How to: Create a Visual SourceSafe Project
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8asz4157.aspx

    And how to add, check out/in files:

    #How to: Add Files to a Database
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/h1h3eyyk.aspx

    #How to: Check Out a File or Project
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wt3wf2yx.aspx

    #How to: Check In Changes to an Item
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/3t23y7yt.aspx

    At last, you may want to check out new features of VSS included in Visual
    Studio 2005:

    #What's New in Visual SourceSafe
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/th1ac915.aspx

    Regards,

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Jul 24, 2006

    Mark Rae Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > Please tell me generally how a programmer uses VSS (2005?) in day-to-day
    > work.

    RTFM.

    1) Install VSS

    2) Open Visual Studio.NET

    3) Create a new project and add some files to it

    4) From the File menu, select Source Control and then add the project to
    source control

    >How is the interface represented in the VS.NET IDE (if at all?)?

    It is pretty much totally integrated into the VS.NET IDE. In Project
    Explorer, right-click a file and observe all the new source control
    options...

    > What UI actions do you take to get at your previous instances and
    > versions?

    You open up VSS, select the project, select the file, then View History.

    >How do you designate a directory or directories to be source controlled?

    You open up VSS, select a project, and then click Add Files (or something
    similar)

    > Is it easy or difficult to back up the databases that VSS creates?

    It's easy - you simply include the VSS folder structure in your backup
    lists, same way as you would back up anything else.
    Mark Rae, Jul 24, 2006