    I've seen some web sites that will do it but they also host the site. I'd
    like to host it on our server.

    TIA - Jeff.

    Mufasa, Dec 11, 2007

  2. There are plenty of tools such as Microsoft FrontPage (which has now been
    replaced by Expression Web) that allow novices to create web pages.
    However, they also tend to have significant limitations. That is the
    trade-off and there is no way around it.
    This is why we web developers still have jobs!

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr,

    Steve C. Orr [MCSD, MVP, CSM, ASP Insider], Dec 11, 2007

  3. Mufasa

    Mufasa Guest

    I understand that completely. It's one of the arguments we have. I was in a
    meeting this morning where essentially marketing was saying 'Why does it
    take so long to create the websites?' I would just assume give it to them
    and let them deal with the problems.

    And when it doesn't work, it's there problem.

    J.

    "Steve C. Orr [MCSD, MVP, CSM, ASP Insider]" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Mufasa, Dec 11, 2007
  4. >>I have a group of people at work (Marketing) who have asked 'Why does it
    >>take so long to develop a 'simple' web site when we can just go on-line
    >>and use a tool to create one?'
    >>
    >> I point out that the one's on-line can't add the extra functionality that
    >> a 'programmed' web site can. But other than that, I'm really kind of at a
    >> lose.
    >>
    >> So the question is, does anybody know of any good tools where people can
    >> 'edit' websites with have little or no knowledge of how to do it.
    >>
    >> I've seen some web sites that will do it but they also host the site. I'd
    >> like to host it on our server.

    Maybe you are looking for something like http://www.TemplateMonster.com?

    I will say, however, that most of the templates seem to lend themselves to
    "static" sites. I've used a couple of templates over the years and spend a
    lot of time trying not to mess up the template when I add dynamic
    functionality.

    Scott Roberts, Dec 11, 2007
  5. Your probably arguing against people who don't actually undertsand what they
    are asking for. If all they want is a few pages, then any online site
    builder will do - but they rarely actually do. If they want a custom brand,
    that works with accessibility requirements, has forms and manages an element
    of business logic then they are running into different ground, as whatever
    they see as a simple site now needs specilaist design skills. Add to this
    the requirement many companies have for content management, in that once the
    design is done they want to be able to add content quickly and you have gone
    way past the cosmetic design into application development, or at least
    templated development as supported by many online CMS solutions and having
    to get a CMS system setup and potentially integrated with their simple site.

    Regards

    John Timney (MVP)
    http://www.johntimney.com
    http://www.johntimney.com/blog