web cam?

Dean J Garrett

Is there a way to connect a digital video camera to IIS so that I can set-up
a "web cam". I have a EZCAM III from Ezonics. Thank you!

Dean J Garrett

Fair enough. Can you recommend a group? I was told by the camera
manufacturer and their device could function as a "web cam" but that I'd
need to procure or develop server-side software to drive it. I thought I
would have to write ASP code of some kind. I guess I'm wrong. Please advise
if you can.

Thanks...

Jason Brown [MSFT]

I was told by the camera
manufacturer and their device could function as a "web cam" but that I'd
need to procure or develop server-side software to drive it.

You ought to ask the manufacturer what exactly they mean by that, or refer
to your documentation. It could be the camera just takes pictures and saves
them to a directory, in which case you can set that up with IIS and ASP to
be a nicely shared webcam site. or it may function completely differently.
we can't tell from here

--
Jason Brown
Microsoft GTSC, IIS

rights.

Jeff Cochran

Fair enough. Can you recommend a group? I was told by the camera
manufacturer and their device could function as a "web cam" but that I'd
need to procure or develop server-side software to drive it. I thought I
would have to write ASP code of some kind. I guess I'm wrong. Please advise
if you can.

Well, it *may* need ASP but nobody could tell you specifics without a
lot more information. The type of information the manufacturer's
support would have for example.

If this is similar to other cameras that don't have a specific web cam
application, I think all it will do is make an image on a timed basis,
then you can either send that image out in the same manner as any
other image or create a script to list the images in a folder for
viewing. But those are answers you need to get from the manufacturer.

Jeff

Dean J Garrett

That's the first thing I tried. Here is what the www.ezonics.com tech
support person told me:

"If you have a program that will do that. The camera does work on the
internet."

then I asked how I could do this on an IIS web server, and he said they
don't have any information on this. That's why I came here to see if anyone
has tried this.

Dean J Garrett

Jeff,

I agree with you, but since the manufacturer www.ezonics.com isn't willing
to help, and says they have no information to provide, I think I wasted my
money buying their camera. Thanks anyway!

Jason Brown [MSFT]

They don't sound very helpful. Is that all they had to say?

Did you get documentation with the camera? is it the kind that just saves a
file to the hard-drive on a schedule, or does it stream constantly? does it
come with bundled software? I'm completely in the dark here, but I'll have a
look at their site and see what I can see.

--
Jason Brown
Microsoft GTSC, IIS

rights.

Jason Brown [MSFT]

OK, I've looked at the site, and it looks like there's software bundled with
it that can capture periodic images to your hard drive.

you can then use these images however you want. do you want to serve the
pictures from the same machine, or from a proper web server? if you want to
serve from your own machine you can just point the cam capture application
at an IIS directory, or create a virtual directory pointing at the cam dir.
then you can simply write an ASP script which will grab the latest image(s)
and display them.

I don't think full-motion video will be a goer with that camera though.

--
Jason Brown
Microsoft GTSC, IIS

rights.

Dean J Garrett

Jason,

Perfect! This is what I'll do. I'll just have to camera take incremental
shots, store the images in a directory, and set-up an IIS web pointing to
the folder so I can see them. I'm not looking for full motion video.

Thank you very much.

Jason Brown [MSFT]

No problem. glad we got it sorted in the end!

--
Jason Brown
Microsoft GTSC, IIS

rights.

Dean J Garrett

Alas, when I asked ezonics for the program you mentioned below, they said
this:

"No we don't have such a program. The program to take pictures, EZVideo
Mail, is only for manual pictures."

So it seems that their camera is only for personal use. I guess I could
write my own program, but I'm thinking that another camera mfg might have
better software tools that do the kind of periodic picture taking that you
suggest.

Thanks anyway.

Jeff Cochran

Alas, when I asked ezonics for the program you mentioned below, they said
this:

"No we don't have such a program. The program to take pictures, EZVideo
Mail, is only for manual pictures."

So it seems that their camera is only for personal use. I guess I could
write my own program, but I'm thinking that another camera mfg might have
better software tools that do the kind of periodic picture taking that you
suggest.

There are dozens of webcams available now pretty cheap. Saw a
closeout on one for $15 recently. Hit your local Geek Emporium and
start looking for a sane alternative.

Jeff