web.config problem with compier

sck10

Hello,

I just installed Visual Web Developer Beta 2 and got the following error
from an application that was created with Beta 1. Any help would be
appreciated:

<compilation defaultLanguage="vb" debug="true">
<compilers>
<compiler language="vb" type="Microsoft.VisualBasic.VBCodeProvider, System,
Version=2.0.3600.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"
extension=".VB" compilerOptions="/define:Debug=True /define:Trace=True
/imports:Microsoft.VisualBasic,System,System.Collections,System.Configuratio
n,
System.Data,System.Drawing,System.Web,System.Web.UI,System.Web.UI.HtmlContro
ls,System.Web.UI.WebControls"/>
</compilers>
</compilation>

The element 'http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0:compiler'
cannot contain child element
'http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0:compiler' becuase the
parent element's content model is empty.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Sck10,

Welcome to ASP.NET newsgroup.
Regarding on the problem you mentioned, if the application used to work
well on beta1 but failed to get compiled at runtime in beta2 environment, I
think it is possible that there are some configuration element changed in
the web.config from beta1 to beta2. Have you tried create a new web app
through beta2 and compare the configuration setting between beta1 and
beta2. As far as I know, there did exists some difference between them.

In addition, I think you can also try posting in the whidbey beta group to
see whether any other communtiy users have encountered the same problem or
have any ideas on this.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Juan T. Llibre

re:
you can also try posting in the whidbey beta group

Steven,

It was announced that those groups would be, first,
made read-only and then closed off permanently.

The timeframe for that is : very soon.

If someone would convey, to the Microsoft newsgroups powers-that-be,
the message that the 2.0 beta groups are needed as separate nntp newsgroups
from these, that would be welcome news.

We are already seeing an influx of 2.0-related questions here and,
quite frankly, I don't understand why the 2.0 ng's are being killed.

They serve a great purpose.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Juan,

Thanks for your notice.
Is the beta group you mentioned the below one:

http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=whidbey&slcid=us

Where did you got the accouncement? If so, I think there will come new
groups for discussing the Whidbey features. I'll also keep any eye on this,
if there's new update, I'll post here.

In addition, the following whidbey Formus are also proper places for us to
post questions on using the Whidbey tools:

#Visual Studio 2005 Forums
http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2005/community/forums/default.aspx

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Juan T. Llibre

Hi, Steven.

See, in microsoft.private.whidbey.aspnet.bugs, :
a post by Josh Ledgard(MS) on April 9, 2005 with subject :

"These Newsgroups will become
Read Only in 3 weeks and Deleted in 5 weeks"

Hi all! These newsgroups will become read only in three weeks and be
deleted two weeks beyond that date. This window is an opportunity to
close down any existing conversations and copy out any information that
is relevant to you.

We've set up a forum system to support customers for the Visual Studio
2005 Beta 2 release and beyond that is superior to these private newsgroups
in many ways. Unlike the private newsgroups that clear out content older
than 90 days the forum systems will ensure that information is archived and
easily searchable from the Visual Studio environment. You can find the new
support forums at the following address: http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ .

Since you are Asp.Net users however, for the time being, the best place for
you to discuss Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2 is here:

http://forums.asp.net/default.aspx?ForumGroupID=26 .

Over time you'll find out more about how these
two forum systems will relate to each other.

For reporting bugs about the Visual Studio 2005 product please
continue to use the MSDN product feedback center:

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback

Please direct any feedback about this transition directly to me.

Thanks,

Josh Ledgard
(e-mail address removed)
http://blogs.msdn.com/jlegard

I think he means that the whole microsoft.private.whidbey.*
newsgroup hierarchy will be dead in a short while.

Whidbey Beta 2 questions should be directed to the links
provided, when the whidbey beta newsgroups are shut down.

best regards,