The element 'compilation' has invalid child element 'compilers'.

Guest

I have a number of web projects converted from 1.1 to 2.0 in VS2005.

I am methodically seeing the error below:

The element 'compilation' has invalid child element 'compilers'. List of
possible elements expected: 'assemblies, buildProviders, codeSubDirectories,
expressionBuilders'.

Here's what the web config looks like. The error doesn't cause any issues
and according to the MSDN documentation this is valid. So why is VS2005
giving me this bogus error?

<configuration>
<system.web>
<httpRuntime maxRequestLength="8192"/>
<!-- DYNAMIC DEBUG COMPILATION
Set compilation debug="true" to insert debugging symbols (.pdb
information)
into the compiled page. Because this creates a larger file that
executes
more slowly, you should set this value to true only when debugging
and to
false at all other times. For more information, refer to the
documentation about
debugging ASP.NET files.
-->
<compilation defaultLanguage="vb" debug="true" batch="false">
<compilers>
<compiler language="vb" type="Microsoft.VisualBasic.VBCodeProvider,
System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"
extension=".VB" compilerOptions="/define:Debug=True /define:Trace=True
/imports:Microsoft.VisualBasic,System,System.Collections,System.Configuration,System.Data,System.Drawing,System.Web,System.Web.UI,System.Web.UI.HtmlControls,System.Web.UI.WebControls"/></compilers>
<assemblies>

etc, etc,

Guest

Thanks for the response.

I removed it entirely from web.config as it is apparently unnecessary.

Guess I wish the migration wizard could of either 1) removed it for me or 2)
flagged it as a todo with an explanation.

Thx.
R-

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Robert,

Yes, what a pity that the migration wizard was not able to automatically
correct this, maybe it is due to the <system.codedom> is outside the
<system.web> that beyond the migration checking. Anyway, the error message
make some sense, also thanks for Juan's informative suggestion.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: The element 'compilation' has invalid child element
'compilers
| Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:30:01 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Thanks for the response.
|
| I removed it entirely from web.config as it is apparently unnecessary.
|
| Guess I wish the migration wizard could of either 1) removed it for me or
2)
| flagged it as a todo with an explanation.
|
| Thx.
| R-
|
| "Juan T. Llibre" wrote:
|
| > In 2.0, the <compilers> section is found in machine.config,
| > so you don't need to place it in web.config.
| >
| > Check out machine.config.comments in the .Net Framework\config dir.
| >
| > The syntax has changed.
| > It's now in the <system.codedom> section.
| >
| > See : http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e4hwk57e.aspx
| >

| > Juan T. Llibre, ASP.NET MVP
| > ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
| > ASPNETFAQ.COM : http://www.aspnetfaq.com/
| > Foros de ASP.NET en Español : http://asp.net.do/foros/
| > >
| > > I am methodically seeing the error below:
| > >
| > > The element 'compilation' has invalid child element 'compilers'.
List of