web.config protecting mp3 or wav files

Godzilla

Dear all,

I have been reading some example on how to protect a folder via
web.config file. The question is that I wish to protect an audio
directory which contains various audio files (mp3, wav, mov, etc.) and
the web.config folder protection does not protect these file format.
How am I going to do that?

Thanks all in advance.

Henning Krause [MVP - Exchange]

Hello,

this is because only those files are protected by the web.config settings
which are handled by the ASP.NET runtime.

If you want to protect .mp3 and other types also, you can map those
extensions to the .net runtime ISAPI filter.

Best regards,
Henning Krause

Godzilla

Henning said:
Hello,

this is because only those files are protected by the web.config settings
which are handled by the ASP.NET runtime.

If you want to protect .mp3 and other types also, you can map those
extensions to the .net runtime ISAPI filter.

Best regards,
Henning Krause

Hello Henning,

Can you send me any links on how to go about doing that?

I hope that you know I only wish to give access to those audio for
authenticated users, not locking them forever.

Thanks.

Godzilla

Henning said:
Hello,

this is because only those files are protected by the web.config settings
which are handled by the ASP.NET runtime.

If you want to protect .mp3 and other types also, you can map those
extensions to the .net runtime ISAPI filter.

Best regards,
Henning Krause

Hello,

Is there another way of easily protect non-aspx files? Extending
ISAPI.dll is not as easy asit first thought.... Is there something I
can specify in web.config file instead?

Henning Krause [MVP - Exchange]

Hello,

you do not need to extend the ISAPI filter. You must only map the .mp3
filetype to the ASP.NET Engine.

See
http://ms.helifan.net/technet/prodt...252-fab7-427e-a197-7facb6649106.mspx?mfr=true.

When you see the mapping dialog, open the properties for .aspx files. Then
copy the contents of the DLL location into the clipboard.

Add another file extension, name it mp3 and set the ISAPI DLL to the
contents of the cipboard.

Best regards,
Henning Krause