Web Custom Control & Custom Collection problem

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Donald Simpson, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. I have a custom collection of complex types.

    The type is 'GraphValue' and the collection
    is 'GraphValueCollection'.

    On my Web Custom control I have a property 'GraphValues'
    which is a GraphValueCollection.

    I have it set up such that the whole thing works through
    Visual Studio's designer & the control works fine at
    runtime.

    However, as soon as i use the designer to add a
    GraphValue to the collection & build the project, the
    designer shows the default "Error creating control"
    dialog with the tooltip saying '' could not be set on
    property 'GraphValues'. The '' is not my fat fingers
    either - its 2 single quotes!!

    The control still works fine at runtime - but this is a
    very annoying problem.

    I'm using the attributes ParseChildren(true) and
    PersistChildren(false) on the custom control class

    I'm using the attributes PersistenceMode
    (PersistenceMode.InnerProperty), NotifyParentProperty
    (true) and DesignerSerializationVisibility
    (DesignerSerializationVisibility.Content) on the
    Property.

    The Property has both Get & Set accessors - I've seen a
    similar post where somebody solved the issue by removing
    the set accessor, but if i do this the IDE crashes!!

    Any help to solve this much appreciated.

    Thanks

    Donald

    Donald Simpson, Jul 11, 2003