Web Deployment Project

Zany

I added a Web Deployment Project so I can create a debug, staging, and
release version. Each set is compiled and saved in a separate folder under
the csproj_deploy folder. All works fine. Here's the problem - I'm looking
for an *easy* way to upload (ftp) changed files.

I don't want to upload them all (huge upload), and don't want to have to it
manually by remembering what files have changed. I thought I had the
solution when I found a nice ftp sync program until I realized that when you
recompile ALL files get updated so that doesn't work.

There's got to be a better way!! Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance!

Zany

Zany

Hmmm, ok. What is considered the best approach then to compiling and upload
without using WDP then?

Thanks again

Zany

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hello Zany,

As for the ASP.NET 2.0 web project's precompilation and publishing, we will
need to take care of the following things:

1. If you're precompiling web site as updatable, the aspx,ascx template
file's content will be preserved and other codebehind and component classes
will be precompiled into assemblies(output in bin directory). Also, you'll
find that the @Page or @Control directive in aspx/ascx template will
reference new class (in precompiled assemblies). Therefore, after such
precompilation, we'd better update all the files to the target deployment
location so that all the changes are updated.

2. If you're precompiling the website as non-updatable, the content of
aspx,ascx template is also removed and those files become a placeholder(no
application data in it). In such cases, since the aspx and ascx files are
just placeholders, you can avoid redeploy them to target location(as long
as they're ready there), however, you still have to update all the newly
generated assemblies and any other deployment necessary files(like the
xxxx.compiled file) to the target deployment site's "bin" directory also.

For detailed information about ASP.NET 2.0 website's precompilation model
and how the files are processed during precompilation, you can refer to the
following MSDN document:

#ASP.NET Web Site Precompilation

Also, for Web Deployment project specific featuers you can refer to the
following article. IMO, web deployment project mainly focus on some
additional customization options when performing precompilation(such as
assembly naming...):

#Using Web Deployment Projects with Visual Studio 2005
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/web_deployment_projects.
asp?frame=true

Please feel free to let me know if you have anything unclear or any other
questions.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hello Zany,

How are you doing on this issue or have you got any further ideas on this?
Please feel free to post here if there is anything else we can help.