    ....server OS? Wich is to prefere?

    are there other factors?

    Morgan O.

    Morgan Ohlson, Jul 21, 2004

  2. Morgan Ohlson

    rf Guest

    Morgan Ohlson wrote

    > Didn't find any group that seemed more suitable.
    >
    > Can one know anything about webhotell security?

    Is that for keeping ones beer safe when it is used on a web site?

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jul 21, 2004

  3. Morgan Ohlson

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Morgan Ohlson wrote:

    > Can one know anything about webhotell security?

    What *is* webhotell security? Do you mean web hosting security?

    > ...server OS? Wich is to prefere?

    Assuming you mean web hosting security, OpenBSD <http://openbsd.org/> is
    probably the most secure yet useful operating system.

    > are there other factors?

    Yes - don't run any services (e.g. FTP, samba, etc) that you don't plan on
    using.

    Don't run any services that pass passwords in clear text (FTP, telnet,
    etc). If you're doing a password protected website, use HTTPS. Make sure
    your users choose good passwords. If possible enforce a strong password
    policy. <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/28/password_advice/>

    Use an obscure hardware architecture so that even if a cracker does manage
    to inject some binary code onto your system it will be useless. I'd
    recommend Sparc, PowerPC, Alpha or at a push AMD64. (It is also useful
    that those happen to be very good processors, and are all supported by
    OpenBSD.)

    Keep everything patched up.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Now Playing ~ ./semisonic/all_about_chemistry/07_whos_stopping_you.ogg

    Toby Inkster, Jul 21, 2004
  4. Morgan Ohlson

    Jeff Thies Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:
    > Morgan Ohlson wrote:
    >

    >>Can one know anything about webhotell security?

    > What *is* webhotell security? Do you mean web hosting security?
    >

    >>...server OS? Wich is to prefere?

    > Assuming you mean web hosting security, OpenBSD <http://openbsd.org/> is
    > probably the most secure yet useful operating system.

    How does the Mac OSX fare?

    My understanding is that it is based on the OpenBSD kernel. Quite a
    different path than MS has taken.

    On a side note, there's quite a few mailservers already running OpenBSD,
    not so many webservers.

    Jeff

    Jeff Thies, Jul 21, 2004
  5. Morgan Ohlson

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Jeff Thies wrote:
    > Toby Inkster wrote:
    >
    >> Assuming you mean web hosting security, OpenBSD <http://openbsd.org/>
    >> is probably the most secure yet useful operating system.

    > How does the Mac OSX fare? My understanding is that it is based on the
    > OpenBSD kernel. Quite a different path than MS has taken.

    Nah-ah. Mac OS X is based on lots of FreeBSD code, ported to run on top of
    the Mach microkernel. FreeBSD is possibly the least secure of the three
    major BSD flavours, not that I'm saying it has poor security -- it's still
    pretty good.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Jul 21, 2004
  6. On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 21:43:03 +0100, Toby Inkster wrote:

    > Jeff Thies wrote:
    >> Toby Inkster wrote:
    >>
    >>> Assuming you mean web hosting security, OpenBSD <http://openbsd.org/>
    >>> is probably the most secure yet useful operating system.

    >> How does the Mac OSX fare? My understanding is that it is based on the
    >> OpenBSD kernel. Quite a different path than MS has taken.

    > Nah-ah. Mac OS X is based on lots of FreeBSD code, ported to run on top of
    > the Mach microkernel. FreeBSD is possibly the least secure of the three
    > major BSD flavours, not that I'm saying it has poor security -- it's still
    > pretty good.

    So, regarding I have my pc and just to choose a web host (webhotell around
    here) there is really not much difference to choos between.

    Morgan O.

    Morgan Ohlson, Jul 22, 2004