Web hotell security

Morgan Ohlson

Didn't find any group that seemed more suitable.

Can one know anything about webhotell security?
....server OS? Wich is to prefere?

are there other factors?

Morgan O.

rf

Morgan Ohlson wrote
Didn't find any group that seemed more suitable.

Can one know anything about webhotell security?

Is that for keeping ones beer safe when it is used on a web site?

Toby Inkster

Morgan said:
Can one know anything about webhotell security?

What *is* webhotell security? Do you mean web hosting security?
...server OS? Wich is to prefere?

are there other factors?

Yes - don't run any services (e.g. FTP, samba, etc) that you don't plan on
using.

Don't run any services that pass passwords in clear text (FTP, telnet,
etc). If you're doing a password protected website, use HTTPS. Make sure
your users choose good passwords. If possible enforce a strong password
policy. <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/28/password_advice/>

Use an obscure hardware architecture so that even if a cracker does manage
to inject some binary code onto your system it will be useless. I'd
recommend Sparc, PowerPC, Alpha or at a push AMD64. (It is also useful
that those happen to be very good processors, and are all supported by
OpenBSD.)

Keep everything patched up.

Jeff Thies

Toby said:
Morgan Ohlson wrote:

What *is* webhotell security? Do you mean web hosting security?

Assuming you mean web hosting security, OpenBSD <http://openbsd.org/> is
probably the most secure yet useful operating system.

How does the Mac OSX fare?

My understanding is that it is based on the OpenBSD kernel. Quite a
different path than MS has taken.

On a side note, there's quite a few mailservers already running OpenBSD,
not so many webservers.

Jeff

Toby Inkster

Jeff said:
How does the Mac OSX fare? My understanding is that it is based on the
OpenBSD kernel. Quite a different path than MS has taken.

Nah-ah. Mac OS X is based on lots of FreeBSD code, ported to run on top of
the Mach microkernel. FreeBSD is possibly the least secure of the three
major BSD flavours, not that I'm saying it has poor security -- it's still
pretty good.

Morgan Ohlson

Nah-ah. Mac OS X is based on lots of FreeBSD code, ported to run on top of
the Mach microkernel. FreeBSD is possibly the least secure of the three
major BSD flavours, not that I'm saying it has poor security -- it's still
pretty good.

So, regarding I have my pc and just to choose a web host (webhotell around
here) there is really not much difference to choos between.

Morgan O.