Web Parts, can anyone convince me?

Guest

I've just finished getting my web 2.0 MCTS, and the exam seemed to have a
disproportionate interest in Web Parts.
Personally, I don't really see the point of them

Should I think again?

can anyone show me a Site where Web parts are used in a way that makes them
quite compelling as opposed to just a gimmick?

also, I'm happy to hear any views on Web Parts both pro and con and with or
without sites to look at

Regards and thanks in Advance,
CharlesA

Mark Rae

I've just finished getting my web 2.0 MCTS, and the exam seemed to have a
disproportionate interest in Web Parts.
Personally, I don't really see the point of them

This is yet another real-world example of how utterly irrelevant and
pointless the Microsoft "certification" exams are...
Should I think again?

Yes, but not about whether Web Parts will solve all your problems or not...
:)

Mark Rae

care to elaborate a bit more about web parts, you seem to have a downer
about
MS exams, but my question was really designed to get an interesting
advocacy
for or against Web Parts ;-)

Just like the rest of the .NET Framework and its associated technologies,
Web Parts are great, but only when they're the right solution...:)

Your MS cert won't help you in determining when that is...

Mark Rae

I'm sorry Mark,
I appreciate that you're taking the time to answer my posts. However I'm
having a problem here.
There isn't sufficient information in your replies. Can you give me an
example of when they're good or no good. Can you point me to a site? can
you
just write more than one sentence so that I get some information.

Do a Google search for

web parts pros cons

This seems a fairly good discussion:
http://blogs.msdn.com/cjohnson/archive/2006/09/05/740498.aspx

Juan T. Llibre

re:
I've yet to find a good use for web parts.

You must not live in a business environment.

Web parts are a great way to place critical, self-updating, live statistics on the screen.

Whether it's regional sales stats, best-performing salesmen, critical inventory levels,
manpower shortages or any vital business need, web parts fill an important need.

Guest

thanks Jon and Juan,

Juan, I imagine that these self-updating screens (inside each web part) are
using Ajax then?

Regards
CharlesA

Juan T. Llibre

Hi, Charles.

They don't have to use Ajax, but they can use it.

Most web part development has centered on Sharepoint Portal Server apps,
and more recently in apps for Windows Sharepoint Services.

Starting with ASP.NET 2.0, you can build web parts
that don't need to run within Sharepoint.

The Web Parts Development Center is at :
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e0s9t4ck.aspx

A simple walkthrough is found at:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/sk23dydw(VS.80).aspx

There's a bunch of 3rd party web parts, usually for purchase, at :
http://www.microsoft.com/sharepoint/server/downloads/webparts/information.asp

There's a good market for smart web parts.
You might want to write your own and sell it to businesses.

Guest

thank you very much Juan, I shall have a good look at those links
Regards,
CharlesA

Jon Paal

my work is ecommerce, sports sites, medical industry and any other database driven application that works through a website ....

I've yet to find a good use for web parts...

Jon Paal

I looked, I saw, I rejected... A lot of complex nonsense that will ultimately fall by the wayside as another overhyped gizmo that
isn't practical.

Mike P

The uses for web parts are pretty narrow, but a good example is on the
google website (click on the personalised home hyperlink)...

Juan T. Llibre

I suggest you don't use them, then, instead of belittling their use.

Like I said before, I have several clients who swear by them.

Web parts provide an easy way to stay updated about critical business data.
I know you don't see that but, trust me, it is so.

What has occurred is simply a marketing name change (for the worse, I might add).

The self-updating system now called "web parts" used to be called a "digital dashboard" and,
like its automotive counterpart, provides an easy way to update key data for its users.

I like the term "digital dashboard" better than the term "web parts".

Jon Paal

You should remember what the original poster's question asked. The guy wanted an opinion of web parts and I gave him an honest one.
You, on the other hand, are incapable of being objective, and should keep your opinions out of this forum and avoid answering posts
because your answers will always be biased to those who anointed you with a label to own your soul.

Specifically, do not reply to my posts ever again.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
You should remember what the original poster's question asked. The guy wanted an opinion of web
parts and I gave him an honest one.

That isn't in question.

re:
You, on the other hand, are incapable of being objective, and should keep your opinions out of
this forum and avoid answering posts

Good bye, Jon.

Juan T. Llibre

Not yet, Jon.

For the record, I find it amazing that you demand respect for your opinions,
yet are insulting towards me for having expressed *my* opinions.

That's quite a contradiction and I'm sorry to see that in you.
*Now* : good bye.

Feel free to have the last word.

Jon Paal

You just can't respect anyone's request. I asked you to never respond to my postings and yet you continue without rude disregard.

good bye Juan!