Web server Cluster and SESSION.

Aidy

You can store your session in a SQL Server such that your web servers all
access the same store, however you have to note that everything you store in
the Session needs to be serialisable for that to work.

Juan T. Llibre

State Server can also do the job for clustered servers.

ASP.NET applications support maintaining session state on a
centralized session state server *or* on a server running SQL Server.

Because the session state is managed centrally,
any cluster host can recover session state information.

Juan T. Llibre

Eric, please see my just-sent reply.
You can also use ASP.NET's State Server to maintain state in a cluster.

....and, please fix your clock.
You're posting 15 hours into the future. :)

Thanks.

Eric Layman said:
Thanks!

But, is this step a must? Since this article was dated 12 Jun 06

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317604

Currently on .net 1.1

Mark Rae

State Server can also do the job for clustered servers.

ASP.NET applications support maintaining session state on a
centralized session state server *or* on a server running SQL Server.

Because the session state is managed centrally,
any cluster host can recover session state information.

Do you have any thoughts as to when to use one and when to use the other...?

There's a fair bit of information on the net about each individually, but
there doesn't seem to be much on which is the more suitable according to
infrastructure etc...

Juan T. Llibre

re:
Do you have any thoughts as to when to use one and when to use the other...?

Couldn't you ask an easier question ?
That's a tough nut to crack.

:)

All in all, I think it would depend on the size of the cluster.

Small and medium-sized clusters could probably make do with State Server.

For very large, and I mean *very* large, applications in large clusters,
redundant SQL Servers are called for.

That would mean : "a cluster of SQL Servers keeping state for a cluster of web servers".
The scalability of *that* configuration runs into many millions of hits daily.

Caveat : when using SQL Server mode, objects stored in session state
are serialised and deserialised when a request is processed.

You cannot store objects which do not support serialisation in session state,
if you use SQL Server, so that's something to keep in mind when programming.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
What about implementation of cookies? I doubt cookies has the hassle of sessions in a web cluster.

You can use both cookies and cookieless sessions.

re:
Im not 15 hours ahead. This is my local time. GMT+8

This message is stamped a bit after midnight tonight.

:)

Check your Windows timezone setting.
OE says you posted your message on Mon, 26 Mar 2007 21:10:26 -0700

That's GMT -7, not GMT +8 ( which adds up to the 15 hour difference we're seeing).
What's your physical location ?

Eric Layman said:
Thanks Juan!

What about implementation of cookies? I doubt cookies has the hassle of sessions in a web cluster.

Since we are doing it for a company and the company is very strict about its intellecutal
properties; i doubt they are going to let us lay a finger on their servers.

Im not 15 hours ahead. This is my local time. Its 9pm @ where I'm located right now. GMT+8

Eric Layman said:
Thanks!

But, is this step a must? Since this article was dated 12 Jun 06

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317604

Currently on .net 1.1

You can store your session in a SQL Server such that your web servers all access the same
store, however you have to note that everything you store in the Session needs to be
serialisable for that to work.

"Eric Layman" <namyalcire[at no spam]gmail.com> wrote in message
Hi everyone,

Will clustering of webservers affect SESSION states?

Is there a dotnet term for the above mentioned scenario?

Pls advise.

Thanks.

Mark Rae

re:

Couldn't you ask an easier question ?
:)

Caveat : when using SQL Server mode, objects stored in session state
are serialised and deserialised when a request is processed.

You cannot store objects which do not support serialisation in session
state,
if you use SQL Server, so that's something to keep in mind when
programming.

Ah... that sounds like a bit of a "gotcha" - thanks for that...

Joerg Jooss

Thus wrote Mark,
Do you have any thoughts as to when to use one and when to use the
other...?

There's a fair bit of information on the net about each individually,
but there doesn't seem to be much on which is the more suitable
according to infrastructure etc...

StateServer cannot be clustered, so it introduces a single point of failure,
making any cluster in front of it rather moot ;-)

Cheers,

Juan T. Llibre

re:
StateServer cannot be clustered, so it introduces a single point of failure

Yes. That's why I said that it's only good for small/medium websites
( which don't require clustered web servers... )

Eric Layman

Aidy said:
You can store your session in a SQL Server such that your web servers
all access the same store, however you have to note that everything you
store in the Session needs to be serialisable for that to work.

"Eric Layman" <namyalcire[at no spam]gmail.com> wrote in message
Hi everyone,

Will clustering of webservers affect SESSION states?

Is there a dotnet term for the above mentioned scenario?

Pls advise.

Thanks.

Guest

Yes, it will. Look into two options: