Web Service Adv and disadv

nirk

Hi
I am planning to use Web Service a as a part of my project development.
I need some input
1)How is asynchronous web service call better/inferior than a threaded web service call
2)How does web service adversely affect the IIS performance
3)I web service suitable to download huge amount of data suppose 1GB
4)Is there any alternative to web service development

Pls provide yur views or any web sites related to web service adv and disadv
with regards
nirk

Jan Tielens

1)How is asynchronous web service call better/inferior than a threaded web
service call

I assume you mean using the BeginXXX and EndXXX methods on the generated
proxies or using your own threading code. I think there aren't really
advantages or disadvantages. By using the generated proxy async. methods you
don't have to write your own plumbing code.
2)How does web service adversely affect the IIS performance

Can you explain more? Compared to what?
3)I web service suitable to download huge amount of data suppose 1GB

I don't think so, because everything needs to be serialized into one xml
soap message. In my opinion you'd be better of splitting the data into
smaller chunks.
4)Is there any alternative to web service development

For which goal? You could take a look at .NET Remoting or "plain old" COM+
components.

--
Greetz

Jan Tielens
________________________________

nirk

Thanks for reply.

I will be a bit more clear.
my objective is to create a web service which will be running on a remote PC.The client PC will host a web application.
The request/ response will be in asynchronous mode (currently i am thinking in this direction Pls let me know if any alternative is there).The web service will generate a file containing around 10,000 records or more. Once this file is generated it shd be uploaded to the client PC .I am planning to use FTP if possible(again if any other alternative is there let me know).
Now
reply to yur questions
using web service to generate a file with 10,000 records can be time consuming and will use IIS resources un-necessarily so the performance of web service can be affected.

So this is some what distributed application which i want to build in .NET envoirment.Both PC will run on Windows platform.
I am web service as it is easy to build and also

1)it is open .we can soap messaging with enhanced feature set

Thanks in advance

Jan Tielens

If you are dealing with such an amount of data, it's important to avoid
having to load the complete data in memory at once. You need to make sure
you can write the data directly to a stream.

You may which to check out DIME (WSE):
Using Web Services Enhancements to Send SOAP Messages with Attachments
http://tinyurl.com/2pg2j

Sending Files, Attachments, and SOAP Messages Via Direct Internet Message
Encapsulation
http://tinyurl.com/3gqzp

--
Greetz