    Pls provide yur views or any web sites related to web service adv and disadv
    with regards
    nirk

    nirk, Jan 19, 2004

  2. nirk

    Jan Tielens Guest

    > 1)How is asynchronous web service call better/inferior than a threaded web
    service call

    I assume you mean using the BeginXXX and EndXXX methods on the generated
    proxies or using your own threading code. I think there aren't really
    advantages or disadvantages. By using the generated proxy async. methods you
    don't have to write your own plumbing code.

    > 2)How does web service adversely affect the IIS performance

    Can you explain more? Compared to what?

    > 3)I web service suitable to download huge amount of data suppose 1GB

    I don't think so, because everything needs to be serialized into one xml
    soap message. In my opinion you'd be better of splitting the data into
    smaller chunks.

    > 4)Is there any alternative to web service development

    For which goal? You could take a look at .NET Remoting or "plain old" COM+
    components.

    --
    Greetz

    Jan Tielens
    ________________________________

    Jan Tielens, Jan 19, 2004

  3. nirk

    nirk Guest

    Thanks for reply.

    I will be a bit more clear.
    my objective is to create a web service which will be running on a remote PC.The client PC will host a web application.
    The request/ response will be in asynchronous mode (currently i am thinking in this direction Pls let me know if any alternative is there).The web service will generate a file containing around 10,000 records or more. Once this file is generated it shd be uploaded to the client PC .I am planning to use FTP if possible(again if any other alternative is there let me know).
    Now
    reply to yur questions
    using web service to generate a file with 10,000 records can be time consuming and will use IIS resources un-necessarily so the performance of web service can be affected.

    So this is some what distributed application which i want to build in .NET envoirment.Both PC will run on Windows platform.
    I am web service as it is easy to build and also

    1)it is open .we can soap messaging with enhanced feature set

    Thanks in advance

    nirk, Jan 19, 2004
  4. nirk

    Jan Tielens Guest

    If you are dealing with such an amount of data, it's important to avoid
    having to load the complete data in memory at once. You need to make sure
    you can write the data directly to a stream.

    You may which to check out DIME (WSE):
    Using Web Services Enhancements to Send SOAP Messages with Attachments
    http://tinyurl.com/2pg2j

    Sending Files, Attachments, and SOAP Messages Via Direct Internet Message
    Encapsulation
    http://tinyurl.com/3gqzp

    --
    Greetz