Web Service Documentation Tool?

Guest

Hi all,

Is there a good tool I can use to generate MS Word documentation of a web
service?

I find typing up documentation manually a hassle (i.e. need to do all the
dependencies manually).

Can MS doc be exported to Word?

I'm using VS.NET 2008 and .NET 3.5.

Thanks.

Scott M.

If you use XML Comments, you'll have the ability to have your documentation
in an .xml file with no hassle. From there, you can apply your own
stylesheet to it to give it the look you want or you can use a tool like
Microsoft's "Sandcastle" to generate the documentation files you need.

-Scott

Guest

If you use XML Comments, you'll have the ability to have your
documentation in an .xml file with no hassle. From there, you can
apply your own stylesheet to it to give it the look you want or you
can use a tool like Microsoft's "Sandcastle" to generate the
documentation files you need.

Seems like WCF Web Services no longer support XML Documentation like ASMX
did? :-(

Scott M.

I haven't tried it, but the ability to use XML comments isn't based on the
project type. It's part of the language compiler and should be available no
matter what type of project you are building.

Guest

I haven't tried it, but the ability to use XML comments isn't based on
the project type. It's part of the language compiler and should be
available no matter what type of project you are building.

Yes, true - but depending on how you build the service in WCF, the
documentation is more suited for internal use rather than external use.
Basically the way .NET documents WCF is only useful to an internal
developer (i.e. person managing the code).

Peter Macej

I'm using MessageContracts in my WCF project - will VSDocMan handle this
scenario correctly?

Yes, it should work fine. I have tried simple example that uses
MessageContracts and generated documentation looked good to me. But I'm not
an expert in such projects. So if you have further questions I'll be glad to
answer you by email. You can reach me directly from Contact form on our site.

Kind regards